VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey guys i have a 500gig external,i use it with my philips and my xbox 360,,,both reads fine from it,plays files on it without a hitch,,but now when i plug into pc "my computer" goes into not responding mode for awhile,,then when it does show it it wont access it,,i've unistalled,reinstalled,changed usb drive number,,swapped usb's ,,btw it doesnt work on either computer i own,,i dont understand why the dvd player and xbox has no problems with it,,but my computers wont read it anymore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something doesn't sound right. Typically, if a device won't work with multiple PC's, I'd suspect the device itself. Since it seems to work with some devices and not others, I'd think it would be one of two things. Either a bad cable, or the drive itself. You may also want to ensure the device was properly "removed" from the PC's.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. re-boot the pc, and or uninstall the usb in device manager and re boot

XP service pack 3 also seems to do something to usb functionality on some PC's.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. i have xp on one and vista on the other,,i use the same cable from dvd to pc and xbox,,,so the cable is good,,the pc will see the drive as a basic storage device,,just wont access it
    Quote Quote  
  5. if the hard drive has an on/off switch try that whilst it is connected
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the drive assigned a drive letter?

Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management - you should see the HDD listed there, it will also give you the status of the drive. It is likely not properly recognized because of a partition/formating issue and needs to be corrected.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. i looked it has a letter.But under file system,it says raw,the others say ntfs.should say fat32 instead of raw,,hard to belive a dvd player can this thing and my pc's cant
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "RAW" basically means that the PC doesn't recognize how the drive is formatted. The easiest fix, would be to simply partition and format the drive with your PC (of course all of the data will be lost). If you want to try and fix it, give gParted http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org or test disk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk a try.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote