VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hm but using Wordpad I can only convert into Unicode, txt and RTF :S
    take a look at my DVD-authoring guide :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353434.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's it, save as "Text Document", just keep the extension ".ssa" in the
    final filename. This should generate an ANSI-encoded text file, because
    the Svenska character-set is ANSI-compliant.

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I open the .ssa in wordpad and then save it as swe.ssa or something and choose ".txt" in the lower panel, ALL 3 swedish characters changes to these I have written before. Let's take it from the beginning once more now only in wordpad!

1) It all start with a .srt file where I cannot see the swedish letter "å" it's instead repleased with ĺ

2) I open this .srt in wordpad and mark one of these ĺ and press CTRL+H to open the "replacement window"

3) In the replace-window I write "å" and press repleace all.

now if I save as txt but with the .srt end all å's is changed into "?" instead whien I close and then open the file.

If I instead save it like Unicode with .srt end all the "å"'s are there when I close-open the file.

Are you sure that these Swedish characters are in ANSI and not Unicode?

4) It's still unpossible to open this kind of Unicode-srt in Subtitle Workshop so I can't create a .ssa at all

Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely there is something wrong with your PC.
    Better take a long look at the Language and Keyboard settings ---
    even though I'm afraid this won't be very helpful.

\\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    really oh no! how could it be my PC is kind of new. maybe it's because I've changed the "NON-Unicode language" to polish from swedish in these language options ...really werid

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    micchio, when I have created few custom DVDs with bunch of extra euro-language-hell subtitles (Swedish and Polish among them as I remember) as I recall I have also used UTF-8 Unicode text .SRT files as source (each translated/created with Subtitle Workshop and saved in their language by people from those countries).
    I have only read quickly this thread so it may not be the same in your case, but I have noticed that you've mention using Notepad, which - in my case - was the main reason why I had similar problem (with some of the funny letters in other languages). The culprit was Notepad (yeah, another example of "fine" piece of Microsoft coders...). I don't recall now what the exact details, but somehow it did something which made the supposedly Unicode text files to appear with funny characters instead of correct ones as you would expect.
    After lot of hassle I received new set of the same subtitles with specific instruction to "not to let Notepad even touch any of the subtitles" and DVD came out fine...
    Also make sure you are using for your DVD subtitles fonts that have complete unicode characters set, DVD subtitles are graphics, not text. The authoring app you use have to literally create them by "reading" your text subtitle before it can mux subtitle subpicture to the stream. Regardless of whatever program you use to create the DVD, it is actually making low-color pictures from your text, it's a process akin to scanning text but the opposite way; even if your source text files are perfectly fine but you have selected in the dvd-authoring program fonts for the subtitles that don't have all of characters (for example have all Swedish characters but not Polish) the authoring program itself will either try to substitute missing characters with some other characters from the selected font's characters set, or it will just skip them.

just my 0.05

PS
    I never point to anyone's typos or spelling errors, we all come from many countries and languages so its not a big deal when there are some, but your "EastEurupe character endoing" subject title suggest rather some religious- or -political criminal or psycho story that is not really video-related
    thanks for writing in my thread DereX888 btw =) sry forgot about you ... first of all I'm not making a DVD but I want to burn in subtitles into an .avi file (and create .avi) using AviRecomp but there seems to be a weird problem with the characters . But I have now changed all the .srt, .txt .ssa and so on (subtitle files) to open in wordpad isntead of Notepad. thanks for the info !

cheers

michcio

Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unlikely that the source of your current problems is hardware-related,
    if that's what I presume you're thinking. Probably it's some application
    that you have installed recently and that is making Notepad behave as though
    it had been infected by the stupid TextPad. Perhaps reverting the changes
    you made in the Control Panel will fix the issues, I really don't know.
    Many moons ago, I decided to give a try to an overbloated crapware from
    Creative Lies, and it not only prevented WinAmp from playing any type of media,
    but also made one of the built-in display fonts of a hex editor be replaced with
    a Katakana festival which came from "I-have-no-idea".
    Hope you'll find a solution soon. Good-luck!

-------------------------------

P.S.: As a "last resource", you could try BabelPad

{ http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html }

HTH.

\\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hate unsolvable problems

I can't think of any software I have resently installed which could affectt Notepad or the carachter encoding in a bad way at all

well if I change back to Swedish in the settning I was talking about...then I'll look on polish subtitles instead because the swedish will be correct always. But can test doing that later and inform you...will also test BabelPad

thanks!

michcio

Quote Quote  
  9. Hi I have very strange problem with my polish subtitles. I tried to save them as a .srt (later I tried another format with the same result) and after saving my subtitles are loosing polish charecters. When I'm using Subtitle Workshop I see all polish characters (fonts - letters) but after saving when I open them in Notepad They are not there. I have changed my regian for Poland I changed in windows Character Encoding for Central European (Windows-1250) and nothing changed. Can someone tell me what is my problem because I don't have any idea what's wrong? Thanks in advance !!!!
    JKoniak
    Quote Quote