VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Well I'm very new to this and I'm usually pretty good with tech stuff but I have no idea how to fix this. I bought a Sony RDR-VX535 DVD Recorder & VCR Combo Player to dub my old VHS tapes onto DVDs. I did one and I used a DVD +R disc to dub. It worked fine on the Sony and I finalized it...then went to play it on my computer's DVD ROM player, but it didn't recognize the disc at all. It just behaves as if nothing's in the drive. What am I doing wrong? Are DVD+R's not compatible in this computer? It's a 2002 Dell running Windows XP. Very frustrating! I sincerely appreciate any help.

Thanks!!

Tracey
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Tracey. What brand of DVD discs are you using? Some of them really stink. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden brands are the most reliable for the widest variety of players. Also, with a 2002 system, the DVD drive on your PC may be dying -- or simply may be dirty. These are some of the things that could be causing your problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try, if you can, to play it on another dvd player, if it does not then I would re finalise it.

If it does, then re boot your pc, I have had dvd drives not see discs and re boot works.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. How are you recording the DVD?
    Make sure you select DVD Video instead of DVD+VR and finalize the disc.
    Also see if there's a firmware update for your DVD-ROM:
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen
    Quote Quote