VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A Sony Hi8 video camera has been defective but I still have several Hi8 videotapes. Since the Hi8 video camera has been discontinued, does anyone know how to play or copy the Hi8 videotape into the VHS tape or DVD disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll need to find a used Hi8 camcorder or certain models of D8 camcorder that will play back Hi8, (which are also discontinued). I don't recall if they made a standalone Hi8 player, but if they did it was more expensive than the camcorders and far fewer were made. I wouldn't recommend copying them to VHS as a backup or you're going to run into the same problem since VHS recorders/players are no longer being made.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Buy a camera on Ebay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's just a few tapes, consider paying somebody else to do it.

Buying a used Hi8 camera on eBay can be risky, as many times they are very worn, dirty, etc. It might eat your tapes!

Standalone Hi8 players were made, yes. Expensive, hard to find. Not worth it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. You might also look into getting your original cam fixed, (depending on what's wrong with it).
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    copy ebay....there's a few guys who sell broken hi8 cams that don't record but playback for pretty cheap...they go through them, clean the heads, lube, even include a guarantee

also try renting and craig's list
    Quote Quote  
  7. +1 on a D8 cam from eBay. Typically newer than a Hi8, with basic TBC and DNR circuits that'll help many Hi8 tapes. Just be sure the model you get will do this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A Digital8 camcorder is your best bet because they have a DV port,if you can't find one then have a professional transfer the tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can a Digital8 camcorder play Hi8 tape? Is it avaiable in a store such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy etc? Do you know any video camera sold in the store now can play the Hi8 tape? I try to copy those Hi8 tapes into the DVD discs with the DVD recorder so that I no longer need the Hi8 tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Do you know any video camera sold in the store now can play the Hi8 tape?
    a hi8 camera

you want to buy a new camera to transfer tapes? ha ha...you foo nee
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by coody
    Can a Digital8 camcorder play Hi8 tape?
    Some, but not all models can, read the specs before you buy.
    Is it avaiable in a store such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy etc?
    No.
    Do you know any video camera sold in the store now can play the Hi8 tape?
    Only if they have really old stock or deal in used equipment. I don't know of any. That's why people are suggesting ebay.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  12. Look in the Yellow Pages for used camcorders,I would trust a local shop before eBay.
    A used Sony Digital8 camcorder is going to cost you about $300,if you only have a few tapes then taking them to a professional would be cheaper.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCRTRV460-Digital8-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0001BW0U6
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I have same problem old tapes and no way to transfer them. So I found a Sony DCR-TRV250 Digital 8 at my local pawn shop. Said it had a focusing problem so picked it up cheap, doesn't even have a problem! But when I try and play my HI8 tapes, I get nothing but blue screens? Did a test record and playback with a HI8 tape and it works fine. Are my tapes analog maybe? And if so, does anyone know if this model will play them? Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A quick Google search revealed that model does NOT play Hi8 tapes. The TRV350 does (I can verify this as I have a TRV350).

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are dub businesses in most cities that can handle this for less than the cost of a refurb camcorder.

It depends on volume. Negotiate.

If you would risk $400 for refurb camcorder, why not offer $200 to do the job with a guarantee?

Do you rebuild you own automatic transmissions?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, I just bought a DCR-TRV350 off of eBay ($224 w free shipping) Not too bad I guess. I also looked up the TRV250 I bought today and their selling on eBay for twice what I payed since they thought it was broke! Whew! Not to shabby after-all

P.S. - I would have considered paying someone, but there is a tape with some private information on it. and it sounds like fun anyways!
    Quote Quote