VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I three questions. I hope someone could help me. I looked all over the forum and can not get a clear, cut answer - and this was the only forum I could locate that talked about capture.. so thanks in advance

I have a Wonder 650 USB tv tuner card. I installed the software that came with the tv tuner card. Next, I recorded the HD channel on my DVR and played/recorded a privated practice from my DVR to my computer so I could capture the episode using the KMPlayer. The caps came out blurred and out of focus. What am I doing wrong? I am very new to this and feeling my way through.. I did this on my laptop, which is XP.

I also configured the windows media center and the TV tuner card without the software from ATI/Visiontek and it produced the same results

Finally ... is there a way to streem live tv using the tv tuner card and the KMPlayer

a picture of my cap

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Drop one of the caps into Gspot or MediaInfo and see what resoluton it was captured at. Usually blurring is a result of a low res capture or conversion.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Drop one of the caps into Gspot or MediaInfo and see what resoluton it was captured at. Usually blurring is a result of a low res capture or conversion.

And welcome to our forums.
    redwudz - thanks for the suggestion and the welcome. I will try that and let you know the outcome. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok This is the results of the test

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\zeta\Desktop\tv\CATV 3_20090214_0135.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 438 MiB
    Duration : 7mn 12s
    Overall bit rate : 8 489 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Duration : 7mn 12s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 7 516 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.726

Still very confused.I am thankful for any help
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    duplicate post
    Quote Quote  
  6. The feed to the dvr is a HD channel? ie. from the cablebox / sat ?

You are recording SD (720x480) so there is a massive loss in resolution

I think those Wonder TV Cards can capture HD, but only free to air sat.

Most DVR's have ports blocked or encryption, so you can't just transfer the data over to the PC losslessly. Check your specific model's forum for possible work arounds
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    The feed to the dvr is a HD channel? ie. from the cablebox / sat ?

You are recording SD (720x480) so there is a massive loss in resolution

I think those Wonder TV Cards can capture HD, but only free to air sat.

Most DVR's have ports blocked or encryption, so you can't just transfer the data over to the PC losslessly. Check your specific model's forum for possible work arounds
    The feed was from cable - I saved the show to my dvr - played it on my laptop and recorded the show using kmplayer - then made the caps from what I recorded and they came out looking blurred..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If that cap you posted is a correct representation, you have a problem somewhere. The info you posted from the file shows regular DVD type resolution and settings. If the source was good enough quality, you should have a DVD quality video file. If the original was much better, something seems to have been lost along the way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The horizontal resolution looks about right for a digital cable or DVR cap (usually about 512 pixels across). The image appears to have been drop-field deinterlaced resulting in loss of vertical resolution and jagged near-horizontal edges.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm trying to understand the process here.

First, you capture from sat box to DVR. Then, playback from DVR to laptop (connected HOW?) and capture with KMPLAYER. Then, you playback that secondary capture source and capture a THIRD TIME, presumably with the ATI card (Connected HOW?), and now you are wondering why a third-generation capture shows loss??? Or are you referring to SCREEN CAPS only for the third instance?

Recommend eliminating MULTIPLE re-encoding loss by simply recording the show direct to ATI card from the Sat box using the S-video input. This will also minimize or eliminate issues caused by having multiple softwares with settings you are not familiar with.
    Quote Quote