VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya,

What is the best software to rip DVD/BluRay to hard disk. Not interested in re-burning them, but would like to be able to:

Rip main movie
    Rip scene selection (if possible)
    Rip certain soundtracks (best available on the disk with 2 channel stereo for extenders)

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For decrypting use AnyDVD.

And for the rest I would try
    BD Rebuilder, can rip main movie, choose DVD25 and it won reconvert most movies
    MakeMKV, easily make one MKV from the blu-ray. No conversion.
    Tsmuxer, rip main movie, select audio tracks, not so simple but click on it for several guides.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. That should get me started.

If and when downloadable movies is the norm (Xbox 360 for example), what format will they be in and how would they have been created?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, how much will I realistically save by 'stripping' it down. I expect the bulk of the data size is the movie itself.

For example, I put Ratatouille in my drive yesterday and it shows as 36GB. If i'm only going to save a couple of GB it's not worth it. But if I can reduce it by upto half, then it is.

I ask because if it is only a couple of GB, then MakeMKV is the obvious one to use for it's simplicity, and not worth going to all the effort.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, had a go with MakeMKV last night, using Ratatouille.

Whilst it's good and easy to use, it puts everything into seperate MKV files. So when loading up Media Center, I see title01, title02, title03 etc and don't know which one to load (unless I check the file sizes before).

Is there anyway to get it into a single file, so that when clicking on that file is loads up as if it was from the dsic (ie trailers, menus etc)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you keep only the main video and one audio track and leave out the other tracks and re mux it to a new m2ts file with TSmuxeR should reduce the size with like 10+GB, specially if you down convert the master audio to AC3 with eac3to.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not bothered about down-converting the master audio.

I guess the main movie is easy to find (much bigger in size than anything else), but how do I find the 2 audio tracks i'd want (best available plus stereo for non surround rooms).

Also, and this isn't major, is it possible to keep the scene selection when doing this. So when clicking on the main file, it goes straight to the scene selection page, and to play from the beginning you just select scene 1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With very few of the movies I've noticed the availability of 2.0 stereo sound track. Usually there's the master audio 5.1 or 7.1 plus commentary 2.0 plus other languages 5.1. You can always create a 2.0 audio from the master audio with eac3to and mux it back to a new m2ts. When you re mux the movie with TSmuxeR with the video and audio track(s) i guess you'll get one large mkv file with makeMKV and you'll lose the chapters after the muxing.

When you created those mkv files, I assume they are each made per chapter so if you load all of them up in a playlist should play the whole movie and be able to jump from chapter to chapter by going to the desired file. They should have all the audio tracks that were in the original m2ts, just switch btwn the audio tracks upon playback.

TSmuxeR, eac3to, etc. can list you all the available tracks in the m2ts file. You can also try to make one mkv file like this: "eac3to movie.m2ts 1: chapters.txt 2: video.mkv 3: audio.ac3 5: subtitle.sup" and join with MKVmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok got a new issue. when trying to create a blu-ray disk with tsmuxer this is what i have received...

SmartLabs tsMuxeR. Version 1.8.4(b) http://www.smlabs.net
    Decoding H264 stream (track 1): Profile: High@4.1 Resolution: 1920:1080p Frame rate: 23.976
    H.264 muxing fps not set. Get fps from stream.
    Decoding AC3 stream (track 2): Bitrate: 640Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
    Decoding AC3 stream (track 4): Bitrate: 640Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
    Decoding AC3 stream (track 5): Bitrate: 192Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 2
    H264 bitstream changed: insert SPS/PPS units
    Decoding PGS stream (track 8): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
    Decoding PGS stream (track 9): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
    Decoding PGS stream (track 7): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
    Decoding PGS stream (track 6): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
    AC3 bad frame detected. Resync stream.
    Decoding AC3 stream (track 2): Bitrate: 640Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6
    AC3 bad frame detected. Resync stream.
    Decoding AC3 stream (track 4): Bitrate: 640Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6

Errors
    AV frame too large (39423 bytes). Increase AV buffer.

Now I get this error when i try ts muxing, m2ts muxing, creating blu-ray disk, and demuxing. anyone have a clue how to fix this since tsmuxer doesnt have an option to increase the av buffer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's your goal? What are you trying to do?

First try to update TSmuxeR to 1.8.8b
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to get it in a blu-ray folder so i can send it to sony vegas pro 8.0b so i can compress it to save space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This seems like a blu-ray disc (m2ts) source already.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the problem im having just putting the file in vegas pro is that it only recognizes and builds peaks for the audio portions not the video stream, this is the first time i have ever had an issue like this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the newer version of TSmuxeR fix your problem?

Try to demux the streams with eac3to
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok got it, thanks for the help the new one worked out.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a problem with tsMuxer; it comes up saying:

"Some tracks not recognized. This track was ignored".

This is with the 29GB Taken .m2ts file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's normal when the m2ts has some ac3 express 2.0 audio tracks, TSmuxeR just ignores them, you can ignore them too, but if you want to see the complete list of streams run "eac3to movie.m2ts" and will give the full detailed list of all the streams available in the m2ts.
    Quote Quote