VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been having some trouble lately, and I'm having to use a large forum almost equal in size to VH for some help.

The people there are, by and large, a bunch of cocksuckers. It seems to be a trend on many boards. The fact that somebody knows something seems to go right to their head.

The folks with good knowledge (at this other site) reply with damned-near-useless advice -- but you know they could help more, if they were willing to spend more than one sentence, or simply reply with "go search". We're talking some complex stuff here, it makes video look like a game of tic-tac-toe.

Good job to all at VH, who even at their worst, maintain a friendly and helpful atmosphere.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I've been having some trouble lately, and I'm having to use a large forum almost equal in size to VH for some help.
    The people there are, by and large, a bunch of cocksuckers. It seems to be a trend on many boards. The fact that somebody knows something seems to go right to their head.
    We have a community info/ad/bulliten/forum site in my area that serves several neighboring towns and it seems to pride itself on the beligerent and abussive nature or it's posts. My wife won't post on it at all anymore. I post on it only when it's time to slam the local board of ed or some similar wasteful government body.

I personally find this a disturbing trend in online communities. I understand that the mood of a poster may color the content in some way, but to be pleased with being abussive is just wrong.

I've seen things get out of hand at VH from time to time but the diligence of the moderators and the many level headed users often keep things respectable.

It is a nice community here.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with both of you. It seems we do a good job of policing ourselves here in terms of what you might call "mood swings". Sometimes we do get tempremental with newbies who don't do due diligence but usually we're polite enough to at least post a link or two to get them started.

Congrats to everyone here for keeping spirits high
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, except for the crummy 'poll' area

Just kidding yoda313.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See that is just easy going ribbing - not hurtful or spiteful....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Fun on a dull Saturday night.

And, proper use of Emoticons never hurts 8)

--dES

PS. Actually, I dig the Polls.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @des - always good to here from a fan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've run across many more nuts online than in real life...they're probably suffering from more of an inferiority problem than anything else...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yoda313
    See that is just easy going ribbing - not hurtful or spiteful....
    You want hurtful and spiteful Yado131?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Civility and good manners seem to be rare commodities in many internet forums these days. When someone gets a bit mean on this site, it is encouraging to see others step in and ask for peace and kindness. With that said, there is the occasional obstinate poster that can test our patience. (One that comes to mind on this site uses a name that is a series of sequential numbers.) Sometimes you can devote a lot of time trying to help a thick-headed poster, only to find that they've omitted key information and want to argue with every piece of sound advice. I've seen several who like to bite the hand that feeds them. So I can understand it when some good people here can sometimes blow their stacks in exasperation.

Me, I like to use humor when dealing with troublesome types. In worse-case scenarios, I just refuse to help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I've run across many more nuts online than in real life...
    Lucky you! For the last few years, it seems like I've been living in the world of "28 days Later"
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    Civility and good manners seem to be rare commodities in many internet forums these days.
    Yes, all too true -- unfortunately -- and I quite agree with the first two posts in this thread. This site is kind of an oasis in the desert. There are plenty of sites where they seem to relish using newbs for target practice, and if in a really nasty and profane matter, so much the better ! If the mods are at all active there, what they ignore or lower the boom on is pretty telling too. But you can make a good guess as to the age and intelligence demographics of the regulars there.

OTOH, I've seen a few places where people who have specific knowledge or skills will go out of their way to help those who don't and have a problem. VH is usually one of those places.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Annonymity plays a big part in online conduct. If one can't be held personally responsible for what one does, it changes behavior for the worse in those people who don't have a lot of self-discipline.

I have also seen first hand that the mentally ill and emotionally disturbed tend to congregate in unmoderated forums, where they ruin the conversation for everyone. I am very gratefull for the moderators here who make an effort to keep things under control.
    Quote Quote