VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a dvd player that supports all or most forms of MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV.
    I have done a google search but i could only find divx players, I currently have the Phillips DVP5980 but that only supports DivX and i still havent found a MP4 format that works on it although they are supposed to be supported.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think any dvd player supports mkv. You need a media center like Western Digital HD Media Player, Popcorn Hour, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've only heard of MKV being supported on DVD players that you won't find in stores, like Helios. MP4 and WMV support is similarly rare. If you need high def support instead of just standard def support, then you have no choice but use something like Popcorn Hour, iStar or the Western Digital HD Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think i will give them a miss, i'll just stick with my dvd player. thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Western Digital Media Player is a great product at a great price.

Here is a link to it at the UK Amazon.com website ---> CLICK HERE

This thing can play just about any video and audio format out there. It is not a DVD player though as it only plays media from a USB connection such as a USB stick or thumbdrive if you will and it does support external USB hard drives (including those formatted to NFTS which is a very nice feature).

If you want cheap yet well working this is the device for you!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nice, that in my price range too, is there any media players with hard drive storage?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by BassJunkie
    I need a dvd player that supports all or most forms of MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV.
    I have done a google search but i could only find divx players, I currently have the Phillips DVP5980 but that only supports DivX and i still havent found a MP4 format that works on it although they are supposed to be supported.
    DVD player plays DVD.

Multi-Media player plays media formats and beyond.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BassJunkie
    nice, that in my price range too, is there any media players with hard drive storage?
    Yes, the Popcorn Hour and iStar players mentioned earlier. There's no real difference between the two, with iStar being mostly sold in the USA and Popcorn Hour being perhaps cheaper for you to buy. Note that both cost more than the Western Digital player, precisely because they have hard drives and the WD does not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Note that the Western Digital Media Player has USB 2.0 ports and can work with any external USB HDD unit.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 has the ability for you to put a SATA HDD unit inside of it as well as an external USB HDD and it also has networking capabilities so you can stream from a computer.

However the Popcorn Hour A-110 is about double the price of the Western Digital Media Player (at least here in the USA).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Popcorn Hour USA website ---> http://www.popcornhour.com/

Official site for U.K. customers ---> http://www.abtech.se/

I don't know why the official U.K. site is not in the U.K. but I got that link from the USA website in the "Where To Buy If You Are In The U.K." link.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Note that both cost more than the Western Digital player, precisely because they have hard drives and the WD does not.
    The Popcorn Hour is over double the price of the WD TV, and does not come with any hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they are both too expensive, i guess i will buy the Western Digital player and a external hard drive or flash stick.
    Quote Quote