VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All...

I'm trying to convert Vob to Avi without any quality loss so I can edit in premiere. So far VirtualDubMod this seems to be the easiest and best optioin. I can choose sections of the timeline to export, and the interface is easy to use. However, the Avi output from VirtualDubMod seems to be sped up a little, and the interlacing doesn't look great. The video was captured NTSC and is being output with the same frame rate.

Is there a better way to get my Vobs into premiere closer to how they look when I play the DVD on my PC?

Thanks in advance for the help

Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, and most important, interlacing is always more apparent on your PC because it is a progressive display that does not have all the filtering tricks your TV uses to hide the effects of interlacing. Attempting to "fix" it in virtualdub will most likely make your video much worse. So long as you keep the field order correct, your output should look OK.

If you must use virtualdub, output as DV avi using the cidocida DV codec. However every time you encode with lossy codecs you risk, and generally incur, some quality loss. How much is dependent on many factors, but generally it should be avoided if possible.

If you have a recent version of Premiere, you might try using VOB2MPG to extract the video and audio to mpg without quality loss, then loading this file into Premiere.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Output from VirtualDubMod (fast recompress mode) with Lagarith or HuffYUV if you want no loss of quality. Be prepared for rather large files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys outputting from virtualDubMod using fast recompress and huffYUV seemed to get a better result. I had tried VOB2MPEG though the file it output could be opened without an error reading, but would play black for a while, then one frame which it would hold for the remainder of the 29min converted?

Out of curiosity, would I get a better result using avisynth (which I know nothing about!) to route my VOB's into premiere?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tgolsby
    would I get a better result using avisynth (which I know nothing about!) to route my VOB's into premiere?
    No. As long as you use Fast Recompress mode in VirtualDubMod there will be no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sweet! Thanks again
    Quote Quote