VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ps3 with ubuntu, how is video playback with say vlc. Can I still get 5.1 out of it? If so im sold and im going to buy a ps3. I have an xbox but its such a pain converting videos for it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. with linux on ps3 you will not able to use the 5.1, or no way i am aware of

also, linux on ps3 IS VERY VERY VERY SLOW (due to hypervisor)

you will be able to play SD file (width < 720) but you will have problem with HD file, like stuttering and no playback

if you install the new yellowdog the linux will be a little faster since video ram will be used as normal ram...

BHH

P.S. i own a 60gb pal PS3, and i am very disappointed about sony UNSUPPORT of linux on ps3
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a PS3 but never installed Linux on it but my understanding is that video support is poor because Linux on the PS3 cannot access the video hardware properly due to Sony not wanting to give away any "secrets" of how the hardware actually works.

Without Linux the PS3 is a very capable media player and can do 1080p video without issues (including 5.1 AAC-LC as well as AC-3 and DTS) but it has very limited support for subtitles and no MKV support. Personally MKV is easy to get around (can simply remux into something like a MP4 or M2TS file) but again subtitle support with H.264 video is pretty much non existent unless you either make the subs hardcoded or remux into a Blu-Ray structure (which will work on a standard single layer or dual layer DVD if it fits). If you have XviD or DivX type video you can mux the subtitles into the video file using AVIAddXSubs.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote