VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello. I'm a long time site visitor who's just registered.

I'm trying to transfer some DV on to my Win XP SP2 machine. It's connected to my PCI firewire card, and windows detects it properly when I plug it in, bringing up the dialog box asking me if I want to capture video.

I'm able to transfer a few seconds of video, then the capture simply stops. After this point, WMM says there is no tape in my camera, and whatever I do I can't re-establish a connection with it unless I restart the machine.

The most I've managed to transfer is 1 min 20 seconds. I've tried DVIO as well, but this causes a similar problem. There's plenty of space on my hard drive, and it's formatted as NTFS.

I've patched my machine with KB885222.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A2091337-A0EA-4B34-B19F-B6EC0...displaylang=en

B:

1: Pc off
    2: Dv set to playback, then connect to pc
    3: Turn on pc
    4: Try capturing
    5: To disconnect safely, shut down pc, then remove dv from system

C:

Would also remove all non-essential devices connected by usb from system during the capturing ... helps with diagnosis ... Have you tried other tapes, another firewire cable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks, will try all three and post the results...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also try it in camera mode - i.e., a live stream instead of the tape - just to help troubleshooting.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. a: I tried a couple of times, but it seems as though this has completely stopped my PC from capturing anything at all. I am now rolling back to a restore point.

b: the PC doesn't seem to be able to connect properly unless I connect/turn on the camera after Windows is booted.

c: haven't tried this yet, but I have noticed that the IRQ numbers for my graphics card and firewire card are the same. Windows does not report any conflicts. I may try and change this... will have to look up how.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Also try it in camera mode - i.e., a live stream instead of the tape - just to help troubleshooting.
    With a live stream I have the same problem: I managed to capture 8 seconds of footage before it stalled.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Re c:, "interrupt sharing" is common. Trying to set one manually would be a nightmare.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try this.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Another remote possibility might be your DirectShow DLLs getting mapped
    incorrectly. To eliminate this possibility re-register the qdv.dll which is
    used for dv avi capture/encoding. Execute the following line on Start > Run
    dialog

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

if that doesnt work then try re-installing (on top of current installation)

Graphics card drivers
    DirectX runtime (full download)
    Windows Media Encoder
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by 20000RPM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Also try it in camera mode - i.e., a live stream instead of the tape - just to help troubleshooting.
    With a live stream I have the same problem: I managed to capture 8 seconds of footage before it stalled.
    Do you have any other video software installed from Nero, Roxio or Pinnacle? If so, uninstall it then try capturing. They are notorious for installing little 'utilities' that screw up every other app that you have that uses DV camcorders.

Also, try the reverse process - send a DV file to the camcorder. You'll need a large file which you probably don't have (for the obvious reason) so create something with WMM (just a blank/colored screen will do) as a DV-AVI file. Then use WMM to send it to the camcorder.

One more - with XP, the camcorder will show up in My Computer as an imaging device. Open its folder to see the video coming in via FireWire. See if it keeps going uninterrupted or if it stops/hangs. This will help narrow down the source of the problem.

BTW, just about every capture app out there for Windows uses the same underlying drivers etc to do the grunt work so if one app has a problem then the others will, too (as you've seen with WMM and DVIO).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  10. removed procoder; nero 6 is installed but I don't think it's running anything in the background - I would have seen it using start right / ccleaner or whatever.

I am about to try a different cable connected to a different firewire port.

Don't have anby blank tapes right now to try the transfer the other way...
    Quote Quote  
  11. no, using the other cable has exactly the same outcome: 4 seconds captured this time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. your computer specs look like an older machine. if you bring up task manager and watch what's running and how much cpu they are using does something go to 100%? and how much actual free space is on your hard drive? is it ntfs formatted? you might want to give it a cleaning it and defrag it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes my machine is older, but nothing is hogging the cpu, and I've tried the capture with all non-essentials disabled, but it does not seem to make a different.

The NTFS issue would not crop up until the file was 2GB in size. The most I have transferred is about 1m 20s.

I don't think cpu / fragmented hard drive is an issue. If it were, I think I'd more likely get dropped frames than a connection that 'drops' and won't come back again.

-edit-
    I keep my machine fairly clean with regular ccleaner runnings, defrags, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Right, this is interesting:

Following what JohnnyMalaria said, I connected in cam mode. I opened the camera in Windows explorer, and saw the preview image on there. It seemed to maintain connection for as long as I wanted. Even switching into playback mode and then back into cam mode, the connection was not dropped. As soon as I then started to capture a tape, the normal problem showed up again.

The above was done with the network cable unplugged, firewall and AV disabled, a few other services disabled and all other apps stopped.

So, the problem is purely with capturing. Whether from a tape, or directly from the camera, capturing is where the problem is.

Are we any further along, do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  15. The next thing I'd recommended is to use GraphEdit to roll your own capture tool. It's the most fundamental way to capture - no frills etc that may be interfering. I'll provide instructions a little later. You can also try our software (see sig) and test it in viewing mode and capture mode to see if the behavior is the same as you've seen already.

Re sending back to the camcorder, you don't need a tape - you can just view the video on the camcorder's display.

Your PC's display can also upset capture. If the video mode is changing for some reason and your capture program is showing the incoming video, the capture process can end up being reset. screen savers, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, dragging things from one display to another etc are known causes.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  16. I've just tried doing this:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

followed by looking at my codecs (ffdshow). I noticed that the VfW decoder had Raw video enabled, which has caused me problems before. I disabled it, but nothing's changed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Looking in Gspot, the following are showing:

Code:
    VFW	DVSD	Cedocida DV codec (SD format) v0.1.6	vidc.dvsd	0x00200000	quartz.dll --> cedocida.dll
    DSH	DVSD	DV Splitter	{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}	0x00600000	qdv.dll
    DSH	DVSD	WMT Virtual Renderer	{930FD02C-BBE7-4EB9-91CF-FC45CC91E3E6}	0x00200000	wmm2filt.dll
    DSH	DVSD	DV Video Decoder	{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}	0x00800000	qdv.dll
    DSH	DVSD	Nero DV Splitter	{F85D4921-9741-46AD-9CDE-206A7F47DBA1}	0x00200000	NeDVSplitter.ax
    Should I 'unregister' one of those splitters?
    Quote Quote  
  18. The Cedocida codec is a Video for Windows codec used for decoding. It, like all VfW codecs, isn't used during capture nor by any DirectShow-based applications.

The Nero splitter shouldn't be a problem because it has a lower 'merit' than the MS one in qdv.dll. Only programs that explicitly ask Windows for the Nero splitter will end up with it.

I suggest trying the following with GraphEdit (click on the link to the left to find out how to get it. Use the 'older versions' link unless you want to download the entire MS SDK):

Open GraphEdit
    Choose Graph\Insert Filters...
    Find "Video Capture Sources" category in the list and expand it.
    Choose the "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" entry
    Click Insert Filter
    Click Cancel
    On the filter box that has appears, right click on the little square named "DV A/V Out" and choose "Render Pin"
    A bunch more boxes will appear such that the 'graph' looks something like:

Microsoft DV Camera and VCR--->DV Splitter--->DV Video Decoder--->Video Renderer (and the same DV Splitter--->Default DirectSoundDevice).

Click the green arrow button in the toolbar. You should see and hear the video from your camcorder. If it stops, click on the DirectSoundDevice box and press delete. Now try again. If it works properly, it indicates an audio issue. Chances are, though, everything will behave.

Now try capturing to a file. Save the above to a suitable file so you can load it later if needed. This time:

Choose File\New to start afresh.
    Add the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR as before.
    From Insert Filters, find the DirectShow filters and insert the "AVI Mux" filter and the "File writer" filter. You will be asked for a file name - make sure you give it an AVI suffix.
    Join the filters together: MS DV Camcorder and VCR--->AVI Mux--->Filter writer. To join them, click on the filter's output pin (the little box) and, while holding the mouse button down, drag the cursor across to the input of the next filter (you'll see a line with an arrowhead).
    Save this graph.
    Click the green arrow button.

This will be capturing the video just like WMM, DVIO etc do so it should experience the same issue. If it does then it tells us the problem lies within the DirectShow part of the OS. If it doesn't then something else is going on. Depending on the results, a couple more graphs can be tested.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you very much, JohnnyMalaria. I'll give that a go when I can restart my machine (duty calls for now)...
    Quote Quote  
  20. JM - exactly as you stated - fine for 'live' view, but capturing stopped after only 2 seconds.

no audio problem with the live preview.

Hmmmm...
    Quote Quote  
  21. What hard drive are you using? Is it the same physical drive that your OS is on (even if a different partition)? If so, you should use a separate drive...but your symptoms are quite odd.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well, I get the same symptons when using the same physical drive as my OS, and an external USB one.

I have not tried capturing through GraphEdit to the external drive - I will try this and verify the same problem exists and post back.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Right, I have tested the Graphedit capture to external drive and it captured 5 seconds.

I also tested watching the tape without capturing, like I was watching the live picture, and that's fine. I can even pause or stop the tape and start it up again and it's fine.

So, there is some problem with actually rendering it to file.

I may try saving raw video and audio data without muxing it to avi and see if that works. What do you think of that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try using Filmerit to see if it detects any DirectShow errors.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by 20000RPM
    Right, I have tested the Graphedit capture to external drive and it captured 5 seconds.

I also tested watching the tape without capturing, like I was watching the live picture, and that's fine. I can even pause or stop the tape and start it up again and it's fine.

So, there is some problem with actually rendering it to file.

I may try saving raw video and audio data without muxing it to avi and see if that works. What do you think of that?
    No harm in trying but you must have the AVI Mux filter in the graph even with a single stream.

You could also try capturing to a raw DV file (instead of AVI) to see if that works. Our DV processor comes with the Enosoft Raw DV Writer filter that you can use in GraphEdit. You can just connect the output of the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR to the input of the DV writer filter. It can't get any simpler(!) If it works but AVI doesn't then that will help narrow down the search further. If it still doesn't work, the next stage might be to snoop the graph and watch for error messages that DirectShow sends to the applications using it.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have 10 errors, including the three below:
    • Nero Digital AVC Video Enc
    • {61D528DA-7582-4336-9E9B-092D7C127F5C}
    • QuickTime Video Decoder Filter
    The Nero AVC one looks irrelecant, as does the Quicktime one. I have Quicktime Alternative installed. I don't know about the middle one, though - that is the actual 'name' of the filter, I haven't accidentally put the GUID there instead, although the two are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    No harm in trying but you must have the AVI Mux filter in the graph even with a single stream.
    Yes, after trying I see that now. It's annoying to have to write to e.g. avi file.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    You could also try capturing to a raw DV file (instead of AVI) to see if that works. Our DV processor comes with the Enosoft Raw DV Writer filter that you can use in GraphEdit. You can just connect the output of the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR to the input of the DV writer filter. It can't get any simpler(!) If it works but AVI doesn't then that will help narrow down the search further. If it still doesn't work, the next stage might be to snoop the graph and watch for error messages that DirectShow sends to the applications using it.
    I will try that now.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I can't install it because my cpu does not support SSE2, apparently.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have just run a test. I built a graph in graphedit, but this time, only took the audio from the dv splitter. I put that into the avi muxer, and then to the file writer and it seemed to capture fine.

So, writing just the audio to file seems to work. I did 2m41s just now before I stopped, and the connection was still active afterwards, which I tested by watching some live video.

I've just run another test: taking the video only pin from the source and connecting that directly to the avi muxer. No dice - only 14 seconds before the connection dropped.

Capturing uncompressed rgb video frames (as in, the output of the decoder) does not work either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried reregistering the quartz.dll file as well (Start>Run>regsvr32 quartz.dll)? Reboot and see if any change.
    Quote Quote