VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am about to order a computer.

Do I get Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?
    I've read that 64 bit was faster.

I've read that some software are not compatible with 64 bit. So I am hesitant of getting 64 bit just incase some software I have now will not be compatible.

Should I stick with 32 bit or go with 64 bit?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the PC comes with all the needed 64 bit OS drivers, V64 may be a good choice. Make sure the software you primarily use can run properly with a 64 bit OS. Also if you plan to add any PCI(E) cards, make sure they have the correct drivers.There is still not enough native 64 bit software out there to make me want to upgrade. 64 bit OS's can also use quite a bit more RAM than 32 bit OS's, which are limited to a bit less than 4GB. Photoshop is one program that can use lots of RAM.

But you will likely get a lot of opinions about either OS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Make sure the software you primarily use can run properly with a 64 bit OS.
    How can I tell? I currently have XP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most XP software can run on a 64 bit computer, the question is, is it optimized to take advantage of the 64 bit OS. You would probably have to check with the software manufacturer.

But other members with V64 can probably give you better advice. I run V32 Ultimate on three computers and I have been happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How to make sure software can run on 64bits ? It's a tricky question. Most software would run fine. It's the drivers that cause the most problem. Some 32 bits driver will not work properly in 64bits. If you intend to have more than 4gig RAM in your rig, then a 64bit OS can fully utilize all the RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a 64 bit Vista Laptop, just bought, and not iwshing to over simplify it seems that if you want to use the latest O/S then logically you should use the latest hardware and software, not stuff years old.

Obviously with a laptop the add on hardware potential is almost zero so the compatability problem will not arise, but on a desktop it might.

Bit like buying a 2009 Ford and sticking a 1980 transmission in it.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I began using Vista 32 as my primary OS in Nov 2006. About a year ago, I finally switched to Vista 64 on the same PC (I multiboot to various flavors of Windows). My PC is - to some - a dinosaur (a Pentium D 2.8GHz) and I have had no problems at all. No BSODs, hang-ups etc. I abuse both a lot and the PC is running 24/7. Current up time is about 30 days - it would be longer except I occasionally go into Vista 32 to test software I'm writing. That is also the only reason I ever use XP.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've been using vista64 for a few months now. there's been a few programs i had to 'fiddle' with a liitle to run properly, usually simply running as an administrator fixes it, but all have run fine. one reason i chose to try it out is i noticed many new computers are coming with vista64 now, and to me that's a good indication that it is working for most people.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote