VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to hook up 2 hard drives because they are both 20gb a piece to make a more space. I will install Windows XP Pro, but I need it to use both drives (I guess) to run a DVR program. What do I do to make it use both hard drives?
    Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would just use one drive for boot and the other for capturing. Even if you were to use both in a boot RAID array, the OS accesses would still slow down the setup while capturing. Best not to capture to the boot drive, even if it was RAIDed. With the price of hard drives, I would also start shopping for a larger secondary drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is only ONE capture program I know of that will use two drives at the same time. Most you simply point to C:, or D:, or whatever.

You will need bigger drives.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Step by step program:
    1. Ditch both drives
    2. Ditch XP
    3. Make the jump from 2001 to 2009 xD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I install the OS before I install the 2nd drive? And would the 2nd drive be set to the slave jumper?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, and Yes, with drive number one set to master, you may need to change this from a standalone setting. Some drives Master/standalone is the same, some require a change.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would not ditch XP unless you enjoy buying more powerful hardware just to power the OS.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raffie
    Step by step program:
    1. Ditch both drives
    2. Ditch XP
    3. Make the jump from 2001 to 2009 xD
    What are you talking about ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. If your motherboard is not too old cable select is the easiest. but hook the 2nd drive that you are going to use for capturing to the primary of one of your IDE's. Slave or secondary may drop frames. A 20 gig drive is too old and slow, it may be a 33 mb/sec 5400 rpm so you would have dropped frames.
    Quote Quote