VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi i was wondering why my ps3 doesnt play some avi files..

they came from the same disc. like cd1 and cd2. the thing is cd2.avi plays but cd1.avi it says unsupport.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ps3 doesn't play EVERY digital video file that is available. I'm guessing this a download by the description of the file names you've given.

You might be able to tweak the existing file with something like fourcc to make it compatible.

YOu haven't mentioned what the actual codec is. AVI is just a container. It can hold many different formats. Use something like gspot or avicodec to identify the actual codec the video uses.

In the end you may need to convert the video for the ps3 to play it. Your options could include conversion to divx with something like virtualdub. Or you could completely convert the avi to dvd mpeg 2 and author to a dvd so the ps3 will simply be playing a normal dvd instead a compressed video file.

However there will be some quality loss upon conversion. Depending on the bitrate you use and a few other factors the loss should be minimal - and this is from videophiles on websites like this so losses may be relative to the expectations of the user - meaning that some may not notice any changes at all.

For more detail on conversions check out these guides found on the left of the screen:

https://www.videohelp.com/convert

And welcome to the forum!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe run it through AviRecomp first...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote