VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a video that I don't feel comfortable of others to extract from it(with MKVEXtractGUI) the video and audio stream, so is there any way to password them, so nobody could touch it (besides me) ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. zip? rar? You'll have to unarchive them each time you play them though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The better idea would be to not give the video out.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could use TruCrypt to create an encrypted partition or folder to hold your sensitive videos.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you have Windows XP Pro you can encrypt a folder or file. Then only your login can access the files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I was talking about setting a password to prevent extraction of the video and sound stream, not to prevent it to be opened, if that was the case, what would have been the use of giving it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by andy_blah
    I was talking about setting a password to prevent extraction of the video and sound stream, not to prevent it to be opened
    Everyone knew what you were talking about and the answer was given in the first reply. We were just giving other options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Please read my posts properly before saying that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank-you very much, same for you
    Quote Quote  
  11. With an open container extracting and viewing are the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What would be the purpose of not extracting? If someone else can view it, they can convert it. It is a simple or situation (viewable or not). You can't have both. If you trust the person (people) with the content, then you shouldn't worry about wht they do with it.

This sounds like the typical "how do I copy protect my own DVDs?" question, but on a specific file. You can't do it on mkv, but you can DRM other formats (like wmv), rather than trying this freebie-bullshit route. Then again, everything's been cracked.

You can also re-read Dv8ted2's post above.

After reading previous posts of yours, i find it very hypocritical of you to worry about content control when you quite often go mucking about in other people's content (ripping, demuxing, re-encoding, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Note the OP's first post originally did not ask about "extracting" the video stream. I don't remember the original wording but it was something like "access".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too bad jimmalenko and his magic screencaps aren't around. That guy was almost clairvoyant about those things
    Quote Quote