3. Spanish
    4. English
    Subtitles:
    1. English
    2. French
    3. Spanish
    ... etc ...
    9. English

What I would like to do is keep the two sets of English audio & subtitles (the movie soundtrack and the director's commentary) and remove the ones inbetween.

Having tried this with IfoEdit, I have manages to strip the movie VOBs (VTS_01_0, VTS_02_0 etc) telling IfoEdit to only keep the English items, but instead of a VOB with two English audio tracks and two English subtitles, I have one with a single English audio track and English and Norsk subtitles. I checked this by loading the new VOB into IfoEdit and looking at the "Title Set (Movie) attributes". I may possibly have only checked the single audio track, but I definitely checked the correct subtitles.

Also, once the VOBs have been stripped correctly, the VIDEO_TS files would need to be updated too, correct? Is this just a case of loading the VIDEO_TS.IFO into IfoEdit, clicking the VMG_VTS_ATRT branch and amending the "VTS_x: Number of audio streams in Title" (or sub-picture streams) to reflect the new number in the VOB?

I have looked around forums, searched google and looked at guides etc with no luck. I have found a guide that sounded promising, but that begins with pre-stripped VOB files which have the correct streams remaining, lol.

Can this be done with ifoedit/dvdremake/pgcedit etc. or does it require something like DVD-Lab?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd-rb is great for this sort of thing
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is your ultimate goal? To re-burn to DVD minus the unwanted subs and audio? Or to have a ripped file that contains only what you want?

If you want to re-burn to DVD, then romi7519 is quite right. The old DVD Shrink can do this too. If you just want a ripped file on your hard drive minus the unwanted stuff, some ripping programs can be told which streams to not copy. You can do this in the old DVD Decrypter program (if you can find it) in what they call IFO mode and then Stream Processing.

Note that I've seen a few DVDs with the subtitles and audio streams erroneously named. There's nothing to stop the person who authored the disk from doing this either deliberately or through incompetence. If you continue to get the wrong streams, you may have to do a lot of trial and error until you figure out which streams are the ones you really want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I want a copy of the disc with only the desired audio/subtitles.

Hmm, I had already tried it with DVD-ReBuilder, that was one of my first thoughts. I'm trying to remember the outcome of that, hehe. I think that what I ended up with was a list of audio tracks with just as many items as it started with, but some not working.

I can't fully recall, as I've been trying other things since then - I'll give it another go now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What's wrong with DVDShrink?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, after using DBD-RB, I have the following:

Audio: English, French, Spanish, English
    Subs : English, French, Spanish, [5 other languages], English, French, Spanish

The English audio tracks work fine, the French and Spanish ones just don't work. I click on them in Media Player Classic, and nothing happens; the previously selected track is still active. The same with the subtitles - some work and some don't. I suppose there may well have been something wrong with the original authoring...

I never said there's anything wrong with DVDShrink. THat program was the second suggestion AND I already have DVD-RB installed. When I'm compressing a DVD, I'll use DBD-RB because it uses CCE

/me goes to try and find "the old" DVDShrink... jman98; with you saying "The old DVD Shrink", I assume you meant that the latest version wouldn't do what I want?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, the same happened with DVD Shrink. I did use the latest version though, as I didn't have time to search for an old one. I'll look for an older one and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is nothing wrong with DVD-RB. What you did, just made new DVD without audio/subtitles you did not want. Navigation commands are still there, because you did not modify that. DVD-RB is not going to do that for you. That is why when you click on audio/subtitle, you deleted, in menu nothing happen, but DVD by default will start playing first available track.
    DVD Shrink will do it in Reauthor mode, but you will loose all menus.
    You can use PgcEdit or DVD Remake Pro, but it wil take little effort to change navigation commands and fix menus.
    In this case easiest way would be to delete tracks and delete button highlights for those tracks, so you cannot choose them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tinker
    You can use PgcEdit or DVD Remake Pro, but it wil take little effort to change navigation commands and fix menus.
    In this case easiest way would be to delete tracks and delete button highlights for those tracks, so you cannot choose them.
    Could you possibly elaborate a little?

I have attempted to do so with both of these tools, but not gotten very far. With PgcEdit, I couldn't work out how to actually effect the list of audio tracks/subtitles displayed in the DVD Player/Software. With DVD ReMake Pro, I could easily remove the audio tracks/subtitles, but the issue was that deleting the second audio track would also remove any further tracks (track 2 and above, including the commentaries). I also thought of moving the audio tracks/subtitles up in the track list. I.e. to move the audio from Track #4 (the commentary) to Track #2, allowing me to remove the track #3 and the following ones, and re-linking any references I could find for track 4 to play track 2 instead. I couldn't work out a way of copying/moving the audio/subtitles between tracks.

I have a feeling that I may be looking at this in the wrong way somehow, but I'm still kinda new to authoring

UPDATE: fixed the quote tags
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SiM99
    With DVD ReMake Pro, I could easily remove the audio tracks/subtitles, but the issue was that deleting the second audio track would also remove any further tracks (track 2 and above, including the commentaries).
    Deleting should only work for the last selected track. Did you try to use 'disable' instead of 'delete'? In this case a track is also physically removed (saving space) but logically keeps its place (marked as not used) thus keeping navigation links for setting the remaining tracks. If you want to make it cleaner, looks like you'll have to remux it (PGCDemux+Muxman), then replace (delete blocks of old PGC, append copied PGC, restore chapter registration and enable streams). In this case navigation should be adjusted manually for the remapped track/stream numbers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alex_ander answered your question on "delete", I should have mention it.
    As you found out, it clears all tracks after, use "Disable tracks".
    He also gave you other alternative.
    What I meant by easy way out. Once you get rid of tracks you do not want, than go into menu and "Delete Button" which point to disabled tracks, that way navigation stay, but you cannot choose disabled tracks.
    Sometime you have to be careful, because if they use register to unable track and register is related to highlight button, than you will have problem if you delete button, because numbers change.
    But what you want to do is definitely no problem in Remake, you just have to get used to commands.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tinker
    Once you get rid of tracks you do not want, than go into menu and "Delete Button" which point to disabled tracks, that way navigation stay, but you cannot choose disabled tracks.
    Sometime you have to be careful, because if they use register to unable track and register is related to highlight button, than you will have problem if you delete button, because numbers change.
    Ordinarily you don't want to Delete Button. Hide Button->Jump to non-deleted button is sufficient.

Yes, I agree with you. Unless SiM99 is prepared to learn how to remap streams and edit the menu commands (all it takes is practice and the Trace in PGCEdit), then removing all traces of the deleted audio and subs streams isn't really practical for him. Removing them and getting them greyed out in something like PowerDVD but still in the original order will have to do until he gains more experience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SiM99
    Ok, the same happened with DVD Shrink. I did use the latest version though, as I didn't have time to search for an old one. I'll look for an older one and report back.
    Do you have "Logical remapping of enabled streams" selected in preferences? Seldom had a problem with DVD Shrink where English is the main language on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

ntscuser's suggestion worked for me. Now I can mess about with the buttons in DVD Rebuilder. And maybe kill playback of some cells too

Thanks again all
    Quote Quote  
  16. So you don't care about the menus? I was under the impression you wanted to keep them. Or doesn't DVD Shrink require a reauthor to get rid of audio and subtitle streams?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink doesn't require reauthor to remove streams.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Oh, OK then. Thanks. I usually use PGCEdit for the remapping after the removal, but what ntscuser and you mention is pretty easy. SiM99 should still go into PGCEdit, though, and disable the buttons linking to no longer existing audio and subtitle streams.
    Quote Quote  
  19. VobBlanker does it very easily.
    Quote Quote