VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Below is sentimentally very important to me, since I have a lot of memories on these mini-DV tapes!

I have had a SONY PC120 camcorder for 8 years and have been using Sony DVM60 mini DV tapes. I always record in SP. Since the firewire port on the Sony went bad a while ago, I decided to buy a cheap camcorder to just transfer the mini-DV tapes to my computer. I bought a JVC-GRD850.
    Now here is the problem: the tapes that I recorded with my Sony, will NOT playback on the JVC. When I insert a pre-recorded tape, it gives me a frozen broken up image for a second, and thereafter the tape just rolls but with a blank screen and no sound. Obviously, I cannot transfer anything to computer because of that. I thought that maybe the Sony DVM60 tapes do not work with the JVC camcorder, but when using a blank Sony DVM60 tape, it works just fine on the JVC (both recording /playing back and transferring to DVD/computer). The JVC camera is brand new, so I guess cleaning the heads is not needed (and it plays fine with blank tapes anyway).
    Some more informatin: When I put the Sony recorded tape back into the Sony camcorder, it plays just fine. Also, doing the opposite, when I record something on the SonyDVM60 tapes with the JVC camcorder, and insert it into the Sony camcorder aftewards, it plays just fine on the Sony camcorder. So there does not seem to be a compability issue.

I am at a loss here.

Thanks forum!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Seems more like a head alignment problem. Unfortunately, unlike tracking on a VHS deck, it isn't something that can be adjusted without the proper equipment. Do you know anyone else with a DV camcorder to see how your tapes would play on that?

If push ultimately comes to shove and you have to get the videos onto your computer somehow, you could play the tapes in your Sony, connect its analog outputs to the JVC's analog inputs and have the JVC convert the signal to DV. Far from ideal but it will do the job.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. My Firewire also just stopped working on my Sony D8 camcorder after many years of working fine. Did yours work for a long time too?

Anybody else out there with the same problem? If so, did you somehow fix it on your own? Or did you have to send it in for repair?

Mark Smith
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree joweyenb should try some other MiniDV camcorders first. It could be an issue just with that JVC. Also go back in your tape library for tapes recorded when the Sony was near new to see if the Sony drifted out of alignment over time. Also a camcorder repair shop should be able to try a standard tape on both camcorders.

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
    My Firewire also just stopped working on my Sony D8 camcorder after many years of working fine. Did yours work for a long time too?

Anybody else out there with the same problem? If so, did you somehow fix it on your own? Or did you have to send it in for repair?

Mark Smith
    Port failure is usually a hardware failure issue caused by electostatic discharge or some other electrical issue.

One thing to try is remove the small battery for hours-days then replace it to force a firmware reboot.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote