VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    There's a pretty hilarious bad antenna thread over at Digital Home
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35083

Also there is a lot of useful info there about OTA in general; splitters and ganging Channelmasters and suchlike... http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

AS The Man with No Name once said: "In these parts, sometimes a man's life depends on a mere scrap of information." 8)

&... If you bought a lemon post it here...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one of these Zenith antennas as it had a lot of recommendations:

It did pick up about 15 HDTV stations after I connected it to a RF amplifier. Then I unplugged it, leaving the four foot coax hanging out of the amplifier and forgot about it. About a week later I checked my HDTV tuner and saw that I now got 23 stations with a clean signal on all channels just from the disconnected coax hanging down the wall. The Zenith antenna was worse than just a piece of wire.

I have since mounted a regular long boom antenna in the attic and get 29 HDTV stations, all with good signal strength.

EDIT: I should also mention that a $.99 set of rabbit ears from a flea market outperformed the Zenith by quite a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

If I recall the slogan right --

"ZENITH - The quality goes in, before the name goes on."

Who makes the RF amplifer and the cable? Where did you buy them?

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It was about four feet of bulk RG-6 Belden, hanging out of the amp and extending towards the floor. The amplifier is a Channel Master 3044. It feeds to a HD Homerun LAN HDTV tuner. Most HDTV stations are now running at full power, so it's not hard to get a signal if you have line of sight to the transmitter towers. I also pick up a couple of stations that are about 50 miles away with the attic antenna, but not a good signal, a lot of dropouts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Red- I'd have bought one of those too!

Just FYI, couple days ago PBS Newshour was discussing DTV antennas and mentioned in passing that the FCC has overruled all local rules & ordinances banning rooftop antennas.
    Quote Quote