VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My front usb ports doesn't recognize anything that I put in it but I know it is getting power because when I plug a 3rd party ps3 controller in it it lights up. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Front USB is connected through a cable with lots of individual mini plugs. You have to get the manual for your motherboard and/or manual for your computer box match the mini plugs to your motherboard USB connector and it will work, my guess is they are not plugged in correctly. You may find one connector that first you plug all the individuals to that then you plug that into motherboard that makes it easier. ASUS MB have them. Maybe after you definitely find out the correct placement glue them together so it becomes one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen some cheap cases where the plugs for the front USB ports were labeled an/or wired incorrectly. Fortunately there is a common color code for the wires:
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/BelkinMotherboard_cable_assembly.htm

Also a lot of USB troubleshooting information at that site.

There is also a warning posted there, which is very important:
    Improperly wiring a USB port can result in permanent and fatal damage to the motherboard, the USB port and ANY peripheral connected to the motherboard.
    And I would agree about checking your motherboard manual for the pinout of the USB ports.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They were working and are plugged into the correct slot on the motherboard they just one day no longer worked.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check your Device Manager: Control Panel>System>Device Manager. Under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'.

There may be quite a few, depending on your motherboard. Your MB manual should say how many are available. If none have a yellow checkmark and all are accounted for, maybe another problem. I have eight on one of my motherboards.

If you have more available on the motherboard, you might try moving the connector(s) over to a unused one. It's possible one has failed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None are yellow and the 4 on the back that are connected to the motherboard work fine but the 2 on the front dont work and if I move the devices around on the ones on the back it works but not on the front.

I got it working what i did was unpluggd the motherboard and plugged it into a diffrent slot ant it works perfectly.
    Quote Quote