VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM

http://rogertango.com/download/rtmkvcm.zip

I needed an application that would create XML chapter files for MKV files.

It is very easy to use, with every button click the chapter list is re-built and ready to save. The text box can be edited if you wish to make any tweeks.

Open your MP4/H264/XviD/MKV that you will be adding chapters to, adjust the number of chapters until the time is just prior to the total video play time and save. Use mkvmerge.exe (a GUI coming soon for that) to mux the chapters into an MKV.

I have muxed the chapters from this creator into a few MKVs that I encoded, and the chapters display and function properly on both VLC player on XP and on my Western Digital WD TV.

This application is not open source, but it is freeware. It was written in VB6, if your machine does not have the runtime you will need to download it (I think XP and above already has the VB6 runtime in the OS)

I hope you find it useful,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am still having good personal success with the chapter maker, however Id like to hear some feedback from others that have tried it please.

Thanks much,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Getting this error in Vista SP1 x86.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can do one of each, or both, to resolve the problem.

1) I can post the OCX file for download and you and put it in your system32 directory

2) I can build an install/setup package for download that will insure all needed support files are installed along with the software.

I will *try* to do that this weekend, and will post a follow up notice when done.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using the chapter maker on windows xp with no problems, now i have vista and the chapter maker was working for a few weeks but now i have the same error as above, any update if you have managed to resolve the problem.

Much Appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win7 here and same error as above.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just try google for that file, comdlg32.ocx , and put in the same folder as the software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded the comdlg32.ocx file and put it in the same file as the chapter maker but i still get the same error. i have read on a few sites some manual instructions to fix this but it does not mention vista. does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont have Vista, nor do I have experience with it so I can only offer speculative advice.

Copy the comdlg32.ocx file to the c:/windows/system32/ directory or the equivalent.

If I can find the original build I made, Ill try to make an installer for it that will "solve" all problems on other machines.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thaks Andrew, i have copied the comdlg32.ocx file and put it in the directory and it works perfectly. thanks for the advice and the programme works a treat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://rogertango.com/download/rtmkvcm-standalone.zip

Here is a stand alone version that packs into the one executable (.EXE) file all the VB6 runtime files & DLLs including the common dialog OCX. Unpack it and run it on any version of Windows 32 or 64.

If you would, please post back here on this thread how the stand alone woks for you and what version of WIN OS you are running.

Thanks much,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good job! I just wanted to confirm that both versions worked on my Windows XP computer. I made a 10-minute interval chapters file for a 1:50 movie, muxed it with MKVmergeGUI, and I was able to access the chapters just fine with DivX Player. Do you mind if we post a link about this in the tools section at DivX Labs, since this is something that's totally compatible with our DivX Plus HD profile (MKV, H.264, AAC)?
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by porfitron
    Good job! I just wanted to confirm that both versions worked on my Windows XP computer. I made a 10-minute interval chapters file for a 1:50 movie, muxed it with MKVmergeGUI, and I was able to access the chapters just fine with DivX Player. Do you mind if we post a link about this in the tools section at DivX Labs, since this is something that's totally compatible with our DivX Plus HD profile (MKV, H.264, AAC)?
    Hi , how to i use this program to open the a file.. Is there a guide on how to create chaptering ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. sorry, my mistake
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As an update, I *hope* to have a command line version of the MKV chapter maker that you would specify the filename, and by way of either ffmpeg or mediainfo, determine the video runtime and create a chapter XML with the specified interval automatically.

Something like:

makemkvchap death_trap.mp4 5

would yield a chapter XML file for the video specified with a new chapter every 5 minutes for the duration of the video.

You could use this along with mkvmerge CLI in a batch file.

I have *not* built the program *yet*, but curious to the demand for such an application before I spend the time on it.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  16. First of all, thanks for this great program! I just finished 'chaptering' concerts from The Killers and Coldplay and it works perfectly.

As for the missing "COM*.OCX file". I had this problem earlier with another program and I could fix this by updating my .NET Framework

I hope this will fix the problem.

Thanks again and good luck,

EDDD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TriD, thanks for the info! The "All in one" executable should fix it, as should your suggestion! Glad it worked out for you!

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  18. I just downloaded the installer zip (http://rogertango.com/download/rtmkvcm-standalone.zip
    ) and upon unzipping it I get a trojan report from Kaspersky telling me it is infected with Trojan-Clicker.Win32.VBiframe.bcq malware. Anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hurricane1951 View Post
    I just downloaded the installer zip (http://rogertango.com/download/rtmkvcm-standalone.zip
    ) and upon unzipping it I get a trojan report from Kaspersky telling me it is infected with Trojan-Clicker.Win32.VBiframe.bcq malware. Anyone else have this problem?
    Upload it to www.virustotal.com and see what other antivirus apps says.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ten anti-virus packages reported problems with the zip file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Molebox is the software that was used to pack all the DLLs into one EXE file, thus making it stand-alone, BTW.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  22. Seems Molebox is used by others for nefarious purposes.

I told Kaspersky to ignore it to get it to run, but if experience is any guide, Kaspersky doesn't like being told what to do. Very rebellious.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Andrew,

Since you mentioned Western Digital's HDTV player, I was wondering if MKV files with chapters play correctly on yours.

On mine, the chapters seem to have varying start points. If I start playing an MKV file, when I first select a chapter to jump to it generally finds the right point. However, any subsequent chapters I select seem to vary by a second or more.

The weird thing is sometimes I get a pices of another chapter playing for a fraction of a second before the selected chapter, but it seems to be a random piece of a video clip in the MKV file, not the previous chapter in the list.

I'm happy to have chapters at all, and I can live with this idiosyncracy, but I wonder if I'm the only one that is seeing this.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I *hope* to have a command line version of the MKV chapter maker that you would specify the filename, and by way of either ffmpeg or mediainfo, determine the video runtime and create a chapter XML with the specified interval automatically.
    In case you are interested, there is a Perl script which does exactly that in this thread. Instead of XML, it produces the other much simpler text format which mkvmerge also understands.

It has no GUI, but has the advantage of running as-is on Windows/Mac/Linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    links dead?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dont know, Ill have to check. Give me a day or two, Im off to bed for a 4:30 wakup to go to work. <sigh>

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hurricane1951 View Post
    Andrew,

Since you mentioned Western Digital's HDTV player, I was wondering if MKV files with chapters play correctly on yours.

On mine, the chapters seem to have varying start points. If I start playing an MKV file, when I first select a chapter to jump to it generally finds the right point. However, any subsequent chapters I select seem to vary by a second or more.

The weird thing is sometimes I get a pices of another chapter playing for a fraction of a second before the selected chapter, but it seems to be a random piece of a video clip in the MKV file, not the previous chapter in the list.

I'm happy to have chapters at all, and I can live with this idiosyncracy, but I wonder if I'm the only one that is seeing this.
    With properly formatted XML chappter file in the MKV, my WDTV did chapters perfectly. I hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive been quite busy with life... sigh. I realize the original MKV chapter maker link is not working, and since the original project was on a DOA hard drive, I will be forced to re-program the software from scratch. Which is, fine.. since this will give me the opportunity to make improvements to the program.

I will post the update(s) on THIS thread.

Sorry for the problems, thanks for viewing-
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  29. Looking forward to seeing your new program in action. Meanwhile, I have been using mkv chapteriser with great success.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lost everything... I will have to start the development of the new application from scratch. I desire to write a CLI version so it can be used inside of a script, as I showed a few post above.

Sorry for the lengthy delay... Working quite a bit of hours, not a lot of free time for 'puter programming!

Stay tuned, I hope to have something usable on-line SOON.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote