VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm frustrated.

I'm trying to get a listing of the latest channels (to expect) from all this feb/2009 change using antennaweb website. Its been about a year since I last visted that site and it seemed to have changed.

Q1: How do I navigate to the channels listing for the antenna ?
    A1: go here --> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Q2: Are there any other websites for reviewing HD channels/antenna info, etc. ?
    A2: go here --> http://www.tvfool.com

Currently I am receiving the following broadcast stations (NY/Connecticut) depending on my antenna orientation:

Code:
    WTNH     8.1 -- ABC connecticut, 1280x720 @ 60p, 15mb/s
    WVIT    30.1 -- NBC connecticut, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s
    NBC WX+ 30.1 -- NBC connecticut, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s, weather channel
    US      30.3 -- newly added* all sports channel, 704x480 aprox 3-5mb/s
    WSAH-DT 43.1 -- jewlry, shopping network
    WSAH-2  43.2 -- jewlry, shopping network
    WRNN-1  48.1 -- news 
    WRNN-2  48.2 -- news 
    WEDW-1  49.1 -- PBS, use to have 4 or 5 other sub-channels, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s
    WTBY D1 54.1 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D2 54.2 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D3 54.3 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D4 54.4 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D5 54.5 -- poughkipsee, ny
    Unknown 810.4 -- newly added*, news-12 of lower westchester, ny, 704x480

-vhelp 5011
    Quote Quote  
  2. How about antennaweb.ORG?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give me your zip and we can do something like this.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic363292.html?highlight=snowden
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found it..thanks gadgetguy, that was clumsy of me: com vs. org

-vhelp 5012
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. AFter futzing around a bit, I finally found the link:

--> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

* For those on dialup, watch out for that first page: the one with the icon, cause it seems to be loading a video or something. So, copy and paste the link above if you want to go directly over to the antenna address / locator page.

-vhelp 5013
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, how you like that: There are no stations predicted to serve this location.

What a load of crap! I give up!

-vhelp 5014
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    So, how you like that: There are no stations predicted to serve this location.

What a load of crap! I give up!

-vhelp 5014
    Yep, you are a difficult case like me. They only showed one analog station that was shut down last December.

Now you need to give up or invest in a serious antenna strategy.

Are you getting good analog reception now? I could get a weak analog Ch12 (60miles) and Ch 7 (90miles) with an attic VHF. What do you see?

PS:I decided to get one of those 5th gen coupon tuners and surprise, I got a class A DTV station (HSL) on line of sight and sporatic KHSL-DT out in the distance (manipulating a simple dipole). So far my ATSC tuner shows some signal for CBS, CW and Fox but not enough to lock. I'm looking at antenna choices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you know edDV, you and I both know that we are able to receive HD channels and in different areas of oposite directions. For me, its NYC vs. Conneticut. Here in New York, I can not get any NYC channels, though I can get some of the Conn. ones, though I do get Poukipsee:

WTBY D1 54.1
    WTBY D2 54.2
    WTBY D3 54.3
    WTBY D4 54.4
    WTBY D5 54.5

But even though these are showing near 100 % there is no picture. I have to remember that whenever I have my main computer on, it interfers with the receiption and I get no picture. I have to turn off *this* pc in order to see any tv. Its a strange phenomina. Must be something about radio freq or something in the pc that acts like an inhibitor or something, I don't know. I may shut down in a little while so I can play around--and get ready for thomorrow's game..wanted to record a few segments of the [s:a7a692b14a]chearleaders[/s:a7a692b14a] i mean, kick-offs.

In any case, I'm guessing that they don't have all the info and are not filling in for every possile area. For instance, I just poped up a street right next to me, and you know, I got a ton a shet listed. Plug in an other street just next to it, and only two stations, and not even with the same channels. Go figure. This organization is disorganized to say the least..I just don't know who or what to believe anymore.

The best thing (for anybody: when all else fails for antennaweb.org) to do is just point your antenna and start turning it till you get something. Make sure your receiver or tuner has a signal meter so that you can guage what is going on.

Still, I wonder if there are any other websites available that does something similar as antennaweb.

-vhelp 5015
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    crap. now that I think about it and recal.. there was a time last year where I got "hungry" while searching for stations that I tied my wabbit ears on a wooden pole and stratched out the dipoles and scanned for channels. When I did that I actually got the CW11 (uses to be channel 11, but I guess CW went back to PIX: I knew that was gonna happen) anyway. That was late at night in the dark and no one could see what a fool I was making myself to be. Anyway. The point of all this is to explore your options.

The next level to this foolish-ness is, I may try and rig something that I could fold/unfold and hang out my window and see if that does anything. I'm aiming for something that I can spring out at night when its dark and noone can see. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud..though more frustrating thinking, actually.

I'm not sure if you were hinting on something or not, but..

My receiver in my bedroom seems to be pretty sensitive in signal reception..though I"m not clear on that. It does pull in stations stronger, in terms of the signal strength numbers. Thats why I have the amp at my antenna. Its for the 25' long run from bedroad (attic antenna) to living room computer hd tuner usb box..it definately helps. Yes, I agree, antenna size/shape/etc does help, too. But then I alway knew this..but who has money to throw at all these adventures..yes, adventures.

-vhelp 5016
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a local issue. I'll think about it. Review what I did for the Snowden, WA guy.

I'm getting TV from cable but am trying for on the air as a hobby. I'm not in a hole, I have a 3000ft 120 degree vista to the northwest. Problem is all local stations are behind a ridge to the west southwest (Sacramento and San Franciso) or east (Reno, NV) behind the Sierra Nevada. I need to reach >60-100 miles for a signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but sorry, that doesn't help my pc interfering with my HD reception issue

Yeah, I still can't get into some channels, specially NBC to (watch the NFL game) while I'm on my main computer: IOW, this one..which I need to do other things on..so I'm missing the game. Oh well. But thanks anyway.

-vhelp 5020
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are getting some. I'd try a larger more focused antenna. Most CT stations come out of Hartford not New Haven. WABC should do better on Ch7 (post Feb17) than Ch45.

Put your address into TVFool to get predicted signal lists and levels.
    http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=89
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did post a few charts, (on the other thread, but they did not show up for some strange reason..all the links are typo-free but still no pics, and I have no energy, then, and now to even bother getting them working as its been random hit-or-miss for me when it comes to posting images--i have bad luck in that area it seems)

F: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346808-30.html
    S: Indoor Antenna recommendation

Actually, there's no channel 7 for me for Conn., far as I know, only WTNH 8.1 What I can't get is all the ones listing for NYC, where the antenna happens to be, and is prob at low kwatt rating, i hope.

* tvtool is another good website to add to my list of sites to visit, thanks.

Actually, that (tvtool) was the web site I did use when posting those two images in that other thread.

** SEE first thread on page 1, for current channel reception availability **

-vhelp 5023
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must have terrain blockage to the NYC side. TVFOOL.com will tell you predicted signal levels. The Empire State Building project will take months to complete. This June delay probably means next winter for completion.

Looks like you are a candidate for cable. Sign up for one of those $10/mo plans and try again next year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At this time, I am not interested in the cable/satellite (tricky-dick) deals dispite the fact I was in receipt of a mailer coupon for $19 a month, though that may continue one or two more times before they give up, I suppose. But I never seen any $10 plans. Must be one of those: receive channels 2-13 bare-bones, deals.

I fear (through theory) that they may play their various scheming tricks with this latest "HD" trend and fool with their various offers, not to mention that I don't have an HDTV set anyways, other than my newest 19" LCD widescreen monitor: that's the closest to HDTV that I can obtain at the moment so far.

(I will miss The Disney Channel the most) --> so long, Disney..you've been a great many laughs.

Instead, om'gonna continue fooling around with the OTA and antenna orientation in hopes for optimum reception and as many channels obtainable by such means. There are other antenna styles I have yet to try and experiment with. I just need the energy and time to do all this, and more.

And, as you already know, that so far, two channels were added to within my (limited and unoptimized) reception capabilities. Perhaps I can fine-tune my setup/equpment and find other *new* channels I'm not currently aware of yet, or, that might get added as we get closer to Feb 17 (or now, June) dates.

-vhelp 5024
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm frustrated.

I'm trying to get a listing of the latest channels (to expect) from all this feb/2009 change using antennaweb website. Its been about a year since I last visted that site and it seemed to have changed.

Q1: How do I navigate to the channels listing for the antenna ?
    A1: go here --> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Q2: Are there any other websites for reviewing HD channels/antenna info, etc. ?
    A2: go here --> http://www.tvfool.com

Currently I am receiving the following broadcast stations (NY/Connecticut) depending on my antenna orientation:

Code:
    WTNH     8.1 -- ABC connecticut, 1280x720 @ 60p, 15mb/s
    WVIT    30.1 -- NBC connecticut, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s
    NBC WX+ 30.1 -- NBC connecticut, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s, weather channel
    US      30.3 -- newly added* all sports channel, 704x480 aprox 3-5mb/s
    WSAH-DT 43.1 -- jewlry, shopping network
    WSAH-2  43.2 -- jewlry, shopping network
    WRNN-1  48.1 -- news 
    WRNN-2  48.2 -- news 
    WEDW-1  49.1 -- PBS, use to have 4 or 5 other sub-channels, 1920x1080i @ 30i, 19mb/s
    WTBY D1 54.1 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D2 54.2 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D3 54.3 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D4 54.4 -- poughkipsee, ny
    WTBY D5 54.5 -- poughkipsee, ny
    Unknown 810.4 -- newly added*, news-12 of lower westchester, ny, 704x480

-vhelp 5011
    WRNN-DT Kingston is currently on Ch 48 with 950 kW ERP. They have a construction permit for Ch 48 with 835 kW ERP and have a Ch57 analog translator in Nyack Class A (low power) at 1.0 kW ERP with an application to change that to ch 46.

WEDW-DT Bridgeport is curently on Ch52 with 50 kW ERP. They are licenced for Ch49 with 41kW but have applied for 91 kW ERP.

WTBY-DT Poughkeepsie is actually on Ch27. Ch54 is their virtual that relates back to the old analog channel. They will be going from 800kW ERP to 1000kW ERP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At this time, I am not interested in the cable/satellite (tricky-dick) deals dispite the fact I was in receipt of a mailer coupon for $19 a month, though that may continue one or two more times before they give up, I suppose. But I never seen any $10 plans. Must be one of those: receive channels 2-13 bare-bones, deals.

I fear (through theory) that they may play their various scheming tricks with this latest "HD" trend and fool with their various offers, not to mention that I don't have an HDTV set anyways, other than my newest 19" LCD widescreen monitor: that's the closest to HDTV that I can obtain at the moment so far.

(I will miss The Disney Channel the most) --> so long, Disney..you've been a great many laughs.

Instead, om'gonna continue fooling around with the OTA and antenna orientation in hopes for optimum reception and as many channels obtainable by such means. There are other antenna styles I have yet to try and experiment with. I just need the energy and time to do all this, and more.

And, as you already know, that so far, two channels were added to within my (limited and unoptimized) reception capabilities. Perhaps I can fine-tune my setup/equpment and find other *new* channels I'm not currently aware of yet, or, that might get added as we get closer to Feb 17 (or now, June) dates.

-vhelp 5024
    $10 is a Comcast offer. Gets you the locals + CSPAN.

Post your TVFOOL results and it will be clear whether NYC is possible from your location. Post either DT current or DT post transition. Post would be more useful.
    Quote Quote