VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to output audio over the HDMI connection and the Optical Output connection on the PS3 at the same time? I have the hdmi cable hooked up to the tv and the optical cable hooked up to the a/v receiver (doesn't accept hdmi inputs). I don't always want to turn on the a/v receiver when I watch a movie. Right now, I have to go into the audio settings on the ps3 and switch back and forth from hdmi and optical. Can both be enabled at the same time, or do I manually have to change it to optical when I want surround sound??? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. It is an either/or situation. You are stuck with manually changing the audio output settings. I am in the same boat as I am not ready to replace my pre-HDMI amp at this time.

FWIW, it is not the only issue of this type. I have CoD4, which supports 1080p video - only if you disable 720p and 1080i first. Which is fine, except that if you do this, all 720p games play at 480p because 720p has been disabled, so if I want to play CoD4 at 1080p, I have to manually switch off 720p, then put it back on afterwards.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe that's possible. As far as I know you have to manually switch them. I know I do whenever I go from the hdmi audio on the ps3 (to my hdtv - I don't have a hdmi receiver just the input on my hdtv) to the fiber optic out on the digital amp - prehdmi amp.

Sorry it's a pain but I don't think you can dual output them.

If you find a solution please let us know.

@guns1inger - ouch that sucks! having to change resolutions for one game????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    No. It is an either/or situation. You are stuck with manually changing the audio output settings. I am in the same boat as I am not ready to replace my pre-HDMI amp at this time.

FWIW, it is not the only issue of this type. I have CoD4, which supports 1080p video - only if you disable 720p and 1080i first. Which is fine, except that if you do this, all 720p games play at 480p because 720p has been disabled, so if I want to play CoD4 at 1080p, I have to manually switch off 720p, then put it back on afterwards.
    Thanks for the response. Why do you have to disable 720p and 1080i? I have the ps3 setup to output up to 1080p, but I haven't disabled any other resolutions. Shouldn't that take care of it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Sorry it's a pain but I don't think you can dual output them.

If you find a solution please let us know.
    Maybe is enough people complain to sony, they'll release a firmware update that enables both...

yeah, like that will ever happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. The default mode for CoD4 is 720p. If you have that enabled, it will use it, even if 1080p is enabled. Not sure if it is a PS3 issue, or just a CoD4 issue, but there are a lot of posts on the subject out there in googleland.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is there a way to find out the default video output on each game? It has me wondering if Dead Space is outputting 1080p or 720p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to find out is to use your TV's information display to find out what resolution is being output to it when the game is playing. How is dependent on your TV
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks. I'll check next time I'm playing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS3 audio, you have to select to output in HDMI or Optical.
    That is a pain, because most older audio receivers do not have HDMI inputs.

You can use a HDMI splitter amp and it will convert the HDMI audio to the optical.

If you have multiple HDMI source including PS3 and have a surround system you can use a HDMI switch and just use the optical outputs and connect thru switch then route it to the AUdio receiver optical input.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Nope. The default mode for CoD4 is 720p. If you have that enabled, it will use it, even if 1080p is enabled. Not sure if it is a PS3 issue, or just a CoD4 issue, but there are a lot of posts on the subject out there in googleland.
    It's a PS3 issue, as it happens to all of the games I've played on it. Every game will output its native resolution. If it supports a higher resolution, and its native resolution (720p for quite a few games - Prince of Persia, etc.) is unchecked, it will upscale. Otherwise, it'll downscale to 480p.

This is what I've found so far
    - Bioshock - outputs natively in 1080p
    - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 1080p
    - Prince of Persia - 720p, will upscale to 1080p (looks cleaner and smoother, actually)
    - Ratchet & Clank Future - 720p, will upscale to 1080p (even though that's not specified on the back of the case)
    - Little Big Planet - 720p, will downscale to 480p
    - SvR 2009 - 720p, will downscale to 480p
    Quote Quote