VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Major problems with any 23.97 FPS DivX avi's being converted when using TMPG DVD Author 3.

Any ideas how to rectify this?

I've tried manual settings, specifying to re-encode at 24FPS and 25FPS to no avail.

Every second or so there is a judder during playback of the Vob files - not evident in the original AVI file.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. By judder you mean one duplicate frame?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this an option in TMPG DVD Author?

I'm not seeing it if is it.

I've read about re-encoding with VobSub.

Is there any app that does this all together rather than having to use multiple applications to achieve the conversion successfully?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Most all-in-one type video conversion programs convert frame rate by simply duplicating or discarding frames. This creates periodic jerks in the video (24 to 25 fps will get one jerk every second, 24 to 30 will get 6 jerks per second, etc).

Most 25 fps PAL DVDs are created from 24 fps film by speeding up the frame rate -- the equivalent of running the projector faster ~4 percent faster. That will require that you do the same with the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest one of two things

1. Don't bother. The vast majority of PAL players will also happily play NTSC videos, so conversion is not necessary in most cases.

2. If you must convert, use a tool that converts using the pulldown method. This means the video will be encoded at it's original framerate, and some electronic trickery will be performed at playback time to get the correct framerate. FAVC or DVD Flick can do this.

Personally, I favor option 1.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As already mentioned, the problem may come from internal TMPG encoder's simplified settings (addition of full frames instead of pulldown). A possible workaround is feeding your file to TDA3 via AviSynth script:

Code:
    AviSource("video.avi")
    ChangeFPS(60000,1001)#or ChangeFPS(50) for PAL
    DoubleWeave().SelectEvery(4,1) # hard pulldown
    TDA3 is also capable of making menu backgrounds from .avs.
    Quote Quote