VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, hope you can help. Am trying to copy DVDs using a program recommended to me called Mac the Ripper. Have spent 5 hours ripping said DVD but now have files I don't understand (.BUP, .IFO etc) and am being told that they are not video files and cannot be read. What do I need to do to be able to view/burn the files? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Begin by reading "What is DVD" in the upper left hand corner.

Briefly: IFO is an info file; BUP is a backup of the IFO. Your video, audio, subtitles, etc. all live together inside .vob files that in turn live inside the VIDEO_TS folder.

After ripping, burn the entire VIDEO_TS folder as DVD, not as data, to produce a disc that is playable in a standalone player. The AUDIO_TS folder will normally be empty. It doesn't take any real space, so including it doesn't hurt. Allegedly, its presence might help compatibility with a tiny minority of older players, so it's cheap insurance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to RipDifferent.com and join if you haven't yet. Then go to MacTheRipper - Frequently Asked Questions and read all the threads there. That will be a good start.
    Quote Quote