VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a movie saved in a folder in my documents. When I burn it to disc it burns as data. Can anyone tell me a way that I can make it into a dvd?
    PLEASE... Explanations in the simplest of terms I'm not the best when it comes to jargon.

Also just to add. I've tried Exprees burn and can get so far. I can create the disc that I want to burn. I get a message on the screen that the files are being converted. After a while the whole computer just shuts down.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want it to be playable on regular dvd player, your movie must be a bunch of files ending (extension) with VOB, IFO and BUP's then all that has to be inside a folder Called VIDEO_TS all in caps then you burn the VIDEO_TS folder to the root of your DVD. Image Burn is the best and easiest way to burn just drag and drop the folder into the window and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As said above by INFRATOM, you basically have to convert it to a format that a standalone DVD player accepts

It depends on what format your input file is, but easy to use programs (that convert to DVD-Video and author the DVD Structure) would include DVD Flick, and FAVC

If your computer just "shuts down" it might be overheating, bad psu, or bad memory. You might want to clean out the dust bunnies and do some checks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once you have assembled the required files for a playable DVD and placed them in a VIDEO_TS folder, open ImgBurn and select "Write files/folders to disc" in the Ez-Mode Picker window (or use Mode->Build). To burn the VIDEO_TS folder, all you need to do is select it as the source, choose the burner to use, click on the large icon at the bottom of the left-hand side of the window, and answer any other queries from the program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. we need the dvd player brand/model you are using, the name of the file with extension, so we know what is being discussed.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your replys!
    I did forget to mention that once I burn the movie onto dics it will actually play on a dvd player, but when I try to play it on my PC, it won't play.
    I've done straight rips from DVD's in the past, and they play fine on both my dvd player, and my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In terms of how a DVD is authored, standalone players tend to be fussier than PC-based software players. So, generally speaking, if a computer has trouble playing a DVD that plays fine on a standalone player, I tend to suspect a marginal burn, or bad/incompatible media.

Is the PC able to recognize the presence of a disc? If so, can it see the .vob files inside of the VIDEO_TS folder? If it cannot, then it's likely to be a media-related issue. If you're using other than the standard good stuff (Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden), then the likelihood of a media-related problem increases. And if you went for the discount pack of Mystery Discs(tm) at Staples, then there's your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you want to play DVD on your computer as you do on a standalone player you need a dvd player decoder. You can download from microsoft a free dvd decoder for windows media then you can play the video dvd or get a program like powerdvd to play the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most folks just use VLC. It plays just about anything, including many damaged and off-spec files.
    Quote Quote