VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you use switched AC outlets on the back of electronic components?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    THIS IS A POLL IDEA FROM XYLOB THE DESTRYOER _ THANKS!

Do you use them?
    If so, for what?

I did on my older stereo before I got my newer digital amp (non hdmi) about six or seven years ago. Come to think of it I don't even know if my Sony amp has them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on where the receiver is. With each receiver I got the outlet was initially used for the subwoofer.
    Each time I've upgraded the 'old' receiver moved on to upgrade something elsewhere.
    My new receiver has 2 outlets, each gets a subwoofer.
    My newest 'old' receiver has 2 outlets, so 1 gets the sub and 1 gets the DVD player.
    The next newest 'old' receiver only has 1 outlet and it gets the DVD player.
    The oldest has recntly been moved to the garage and will probably get a CD player.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xylob
    My new receiver has 2 outlets, each gets a subwoofer.
    2 SUBS?????

I hate to ask this but why? There aren't any sources for a .2 encoded material so why this push for subwoofers? Does your amp have a special splitter to spread out the lfe signal?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yup, my EQ and tuner is connected to the switched out on my amp, aswell as some white-LED spots. Even the non-switched outlet is used. I have a 70's setup and they all have US outlets, so rather than have convertors on all of them, I plug em into the amp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Does your amp have a special splitter to spread out the lfe signal?
    The receiver I just replaced has 2 sub outputs.
    The new one has only 1 sub output, but I have a Monster subwoofer splitter connected to it.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep - CD player pulls a few watts when turned off, so it's switched by the receiver. Networked mp3 player needs an always-live source. Everything else turns off completely, except the cassette deck that is rarely used and is no longer plugged in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Shaw difibox has an AC outlet on the back I use successfully..
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - for subwoofers

It also turns on a light that looks something like the picture below.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @epicurus8a - Ah... nothing like THX is there???

However I'm not willing to pay the premium to get an officially licensed THX receiver/amp. I am more than happy with a plain old dolby digital and dts enabled amp (non hdmi currently).

Have the thx certified amps finally fallen below 500.00 usd or are they still in the higher premium range?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    @epicurus8a - Ah... nothing like THX is there???

However I'm not willing to pay the premium to get an officially licensed THX receiver/amp. I am more than happy with a plain old dolby digital and dts enabled amp (non hdmi currently).

Have the thx certified amps finally fallen below 500.00 usd or are they still in the higher premium range?
    Actually, the light is just for fun.

I still have a pro-logic system, but today I obtained a Denon Dolby Digital - EX receiver (non HDMI). I'm not sure when I'll get around to hooking it up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I plug in my "trouble" light into the unswitched outlet when checking the cabling.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Amp, pre-amp, CD player, DVD player, cable box, tape deck, dbx box, turntable all have dedicated outlets via high-end surge protectors. The subwoofer's across the room so it wouldn't make any sense to plug that into my switched outlet anyway.

In days gone by, I have utilized those outlets on the back (both switched and unswitched), but no longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use them for lots of stuff seeing how very few things these days come with real power on/off switches. I've got hese all over the place:

Quote Quote  
  14. I only use a switched outlet for my sub.
    Quote Quote  
  15. 1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote