VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone, Im very new to the "video" world. And just recently bought an external Hard Drive to transfer my DVD collection to for easy access. Ive got it connected to my XBOX 360 so I need to transfer the video to AVI. I was recomended Handbrake and after selecting all the proper boxes in the program and put the DVD in I hit start. Then a window pops up and says estimated time 100 or so hours to complete...Is this normal runing time to tranfer files?? Or is there a better software to do this??....Thanx for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Should take an hour or two unless you have a really slow computer. You might try AutoGK, assuming you are converting to Xvid/Divx. H.264 encodes can take quite a bit more time.

What AVI type format (codec) are you encoding to? There are many, many variations that could be called 'AVI'. AVI is just a container name, not a codec name.

Also, did you try encoding after that popup? That estimate may change to something more normal after a few minutes.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for the reply...Ill give that program a try....I realy dont know what codec I was using...Where would I look??...Sorry for the dumb questions....When I selected the xbox 360 I think it popped up H.264 in a section of Handbrake...Im doing this on a laptop thats a few years old but it runs fairly well...Thanx for the help, Ive looked around on here and there are some great guides....but couldnt realy find the answer I was looking for
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H264 is slower to encode (much more CPU intensive) than Xvid/Divx. If you have a single core CPU expect it to be a few hours at least. Dual core cuts that time by around 40%. Depends on how old your laptop really is.

I prefer Xvid4PSP for my encoding. It has settings for the 360. Never been able to get good output from Handbrake for some reason.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not too familiar with XBOX 360 or Handbrake, but others here are.

You can read the format of most files with MediaInfo or Gspot.

H.264 can be very slow to encode if you have a single core CPU and it's slower than 2Ghz. But it still shouldn't be a '100 or so hours'.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it never got better with the Handbrake...There is so much I want to know but I guees it will take time and alot of use of the Search button One more quick question, will these programs give me the best video quality??..Understand Ill be watching my movies on a 47 inch 1080p lcd television so quality is a issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quality can be a complex subject. It's mostly is based on the quality of the source and then the encoding bitrate used. H.264 and Xvid/Divx encodes from a good DVD source at about 1 - 2GB filesize should be very good quality. H.264 can use a bit less bitrate, with a filesize of 1GB looking good.

I convert ~25GB Blu-ray discs to 4.7GB or 7.95GB MKV files and they look very good. But that's starting with a very high quality source. These are displayed on a 12' screen, so quality is important. (It also takes about six hours to encode one of my BDs to a DVD sized file. And that's with a quad core CPU running at 3.3Ghz. )
    Quote Quote