VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I put PowerDVD 6.5 on a computer and it worked,it would play HD-DVD from the HD as well as the disk. This version is free from HDCP compliance. My video card and monitor were not HDCP. I installed a new video card which was HDCP and my playback lost video,only the audio would play. I changed back to my original video card and the video now plays. Wierd?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Theoretically PowerDVD is NOT supposed to be free from HDCP compliance. I've seen reports from others who claimed it enforced HDCP compliance from the very first version to support HD DVD. I don't know what's up with your version. I have PowerDVD 6.5 and I think it's craptacular. It's junk. It's just my opinion but I think that PowerDVD peaked around version 6 and it's been all downhill since then. I have used versions of PowerDVD greater than 6.5 and I'm not impressed with them either. And given how WinDVD and PowerDVD cannot do enough to satisfy Hollywood, like take away the ability to play HD rips on your hard disk, I can't recommend any version of either program.

Do note that PowerDVD 6.5 was always able to play HD DVD without HDCP, it just was reported to do so in less in full HD resolution. Unless you are sure that you are getting full HD it could be that PowerDVD is simply playing your discs in less than full HD. Then again maybe the reports I read were wrong, or I remember them wrongly, or there's something unusual about your version where it really does not enforce HDCP.
    Quote Quote