VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help. I have been trying to convert a downloaded flv file. When I encode this file It can not be read by quicktime. When I go into ffmpegx encoding progress report I get the following:

Encoding started on Mon Jan 19 15:39:57 EST 2009
    MEncoder dev-CVS-051126-18:35-3.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
    Mac OSX static build for ffmpegX
    AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC
    success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x622445
    libavformat file format detected.
    Unsupported video codec (4)
    [flv @ 0x72d500]Unsupported video codec (4)

The end of the report is as follows

[NULL @ 0x710154]picture size invalid (0x0)
    /bin/sh: line 1: 3259 Bus error '/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/mencoder' /Users/ncohen02/Desktop/011609_TV_nudist_video\ copy.flv -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:abitrate=128 -srate 48000 -aid 0 -ovc lavc -sws 0 -lavcopts threads=2:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=940:keyint=240:vqm in=2:vqmax=15 -ofps 23.976 -vop scale=640:272 -noodml -ffourcc DIVX -o /Users/ncohen02/Desktop/011609_TV_nudist_video\ copy.flv.ff.avi

I am using an IMac g5 1.8GHz. Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    2th
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2thvideo
    It appears the settings that you used do not support a certain codec in the FLV. Please try to find out which codecs are used by information from MediaInfo Mac.
    Then we can see if there are alternative settings that may work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case, Thank you for your advice. I used Mediainfo and received the following report. I hope this will help you to solve my problem. Thank you again 2th

text%20report.txt
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you installed Perian? If not, you might want to.

After the install, verify that QT can play the source file properly. If it can, then select "decode with QT" among your ffmpegx options. Conversion should then proceed successfully. If not, please post back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perian is able to decode the "On2 VP6" codec in FLV files, which will help ffmpegX, when using the setting that tomlee59 suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for your help. I installed Perian and was able to play the flv file in Quick Time. But ....I must be thick but I could not find the option to decode with QT. I am using ffmpeg version .0.0.9y. I am a novice at this decoding and encoding stuff.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    2th
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Decoding with QuickTime is not available for mencoder presets, but is available for ffmpeg presets. Before hitting the Encode button, go to the Options tab. In the lower left is a checkbox to make ffmpegX decode with QuickTime.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case. But....I must be getting old because my eyesight is failing because no matter how hard I looked I could not find where to check off decode with Quicktime. I have enclosed a screen shot of my ffmepgx options page. Would you tell me which button to check. Thanks. 2th

ffmpegx%20options%20page.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the screen shot, you are using the mencoder engine for conversion, which doesn't allow for QuickTime decoding (but only mplayer decoding).

In the Video tab, the selected video codec will have name like "MPEG4 [.AVI] (mencoder)".
    If you change that to "MPEG4 [.AVI] (ffmpeg)", then the options in the Options tab will be different, and include "Decode with QT".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case,
    Sorry It took so long to get back to you. It worked! Thanks again and I hope this will help others.
    2th
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome. Glad it worked out.
    Quote Quote