VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious as to whether its possible or even desirable to use bog standard DV AVI footage (which is of good quality), convert that to 1080p, burn and view via Blu Ray on a widescreen Plasma TV? If so, which codec, tool would people use for conversion?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's possible but not worth it. Get a HD camcorder instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's possible but the result will be pretty much the same as displaying the original DV AVI footage directly on the HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try XviD4PSP or RipBot264 and see if they will work for that. Are you planning to use a Blu-ray burner and disc or do you just want to use the AVC/H264 format on a regular DVD disc for a Blu-ray player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maxwellbest
    Just curious as to whether its possible or even desirable to use bog standard DV AVI footage (which is of good quality), convert that to 1080p, burn and view via Blu Ray on a widescreen Plasma TV? If so, which codec, tool would people use for conversion?

Thanks
    possible? yes

desirable? no

Instead encode to a high quality SD interlace MPeg2 and let the player do the upscale. Keep the DV originals.

PS: I'm not sure of the maximum SD MPeg2 bit rate for Blu-Ray but I'd bet it is over ~9Mb/s maximum for DVD. You could try 20Mb/s for very high quality.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote