VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, new here and have heard that the Canon HV30 a Mini Tape 1080I cam is easier to edit after it is capture by your PC over a 1080P camcorder such as Sony hard drive or flash camcorder etc, is this true and if so what is the difference on a HDTV display, is it that noticeable especially on a 100" screen or on a 56" DLP display? referring to the 1080I and 1080P resolution.

Thanks
    Ralph
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zapper130
    Hi, new here and have heard that the Canon HV30 a Mini Tape 1080I cam is easier to edit after it is capture by your PC over a 1080P camcorder such as Sony hard drive or flash camcorder etc, is this true and if so what is the difference on a HDTV display, is it that noticeable especially on a 100" screen or on a 56" DLP display? referring to the 1080I and 1080P resolution.

Thanks
    100" screen WoW!

Quick Cliff Notes, ask more.

HV20/30/40 use HDV standard
    >1440x1080i@29.97fps (59.94 fields/sec) MPeg2 25Mb/s data rate
    >1440x1080p@29.97fps MPeg2 25Mb/s data rate
    >1440x1080p@23.976fps MPeg2 25Mb/s data rate

The JVC GY-HD100U uses HDV progressive
    >1280x720p@59.94fps MPeg2 19.7Mb/s data rate -- 3CCD, optimal for sports
    >1280x720p@23.976fps MPeg2 19.7Mb/s data rate -- 3CCD, optimal for cinematography
    http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101539&feature_id=01

AVCHD (original)
    >1440x1080i@29.97fps (59.94 fields/sec) h.264 8-15Mb/s data rate

AVCHD (recent models)
    >1920x1080i@29.97fps (59.94 fields/sec) h.264 8-25Mb/s data rate

According to camcorderinfo.com, HDV still looks better than AVCHD but the gap is closing with recent models.
    HDV is easier to edit and has established pro workflow support
    AVCHD is usually converted to MPeg2 in consumer edit software (extra recode)
    Best to use a digital intermediate format for HDV or AVCHD edit.

For 100" display you might want to step up to XDCAM-EX
    >1920x1080i@29.97fps (59.94 fields/sec) MPeg2 35Mb/s data rate
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. ARe there actual consumer camcorders that record 1920 x 1080p yet?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by raffie
    ARe there actual consumer camcorders that record 1920 x 1080p yet?
    Sure, like the Canon VIXIA HF100.
    Quote Quote  
  5. From the Canon site:

24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 24p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film.
    n addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HV30 to capture video in 30p which is (30 progressive frames) particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet.
    1080p x 1920 video, particulary useful for use on the internet?? Well, that and 90% of every blu-ray disc produced.
    Fishy
    Quote Quote  
  6. It depends on whether you want the jerky film look or the smooth video look. For the internet progressive is preferable, of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't confuse resolution with picture quality when using highly compressed video formats.

1920x1080 requires 33% more bitrate to achieve equal compression quality vs. 1440x1080. Then there are the "jerky" issues of 24p and 30p. 1080p@29.97fps has half the motion update vs 1080i@29.97 (59.94 fields per second) or 720p@59.94fps.

People are used to jerky playback over internet but on the big screen you want motion fluidity. Movies are shot with 24p in mind with minimal pans and zooms, stabilized cameras, narrow depth of field focus and exposure tricks. 24p is awful for home camcorder use. 30p is nearly as bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any HD recording on a large TV or monitor will look horrible unless you stabilize the shots. It doesn't matter the resolution or the frame rate. Even your own heartbeat makes the image quiver. Watch "Cloverfield" on your big screen if you want to see an example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Any HD recording on a large TV or monitor will look horrible unless you stabilize the shots. It doesn't matter the resolution or the frame rate. Even your own heartbeat makes the image quiver. Watch "Cloverfield" on your big screen if you want to see an example.
    Yes but it is even worse with half motion update and in focus (wide depth of field) backgrounds typical of home handheld camcorders. Cinematographers defocus 24p backgrounds especially during camera movement.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Yes but it is even worse with half motion update and in focus (wide depth of field) backgrounds typical of home handheld camcorders. Cinematographers defocus 24p backgrounds especially during camera movement.
    Did watch Cloverfield and Dark Night (Batman) on BD on my 1080P projector and it was fantastic. I don't expect to see my home movies to look like the mentioned movies but what have read saying that the Canon looks more like a HDTV on your video display well currently I don't think that it does, on the other hand it does look better then my digital camcorder.

Perhaps have to adjust my camcorder brightness, etc. to see if that makes a difference or to hook up my Toshiba HDDVD player to my 56" dlp and compare to see if there is a big difference since this movies on the Canon are home made.
    Ralph
    Quote Quote