VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I really hope this catches on:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6626884.html

Without copything the text here, Disney is releasing some Blu Rays WITH a DVD. This is great news. Much better than the stupid digital copies that have come with other releases (w/ DRM as well).

Good for Disney....hopefully this catches on
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    eBay here we come .........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hd-dvd already had this and it didn't help. They were flipper discs so maybe that wasn't as enticing as a seperate physical disc.

Only downside is aren't all disney movies way overpriced compared to other movies on dvd OR bluray already? I'm sure they'll be using this as an excuse to charge an extra 5 or 10 dollars to say your getting a "premium" package.

Though it would be more convenient.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hd-dvd already had this and it didn't help. They were flipper discs so maybe that wasn't as enticing as a seperate physical disc.

Only downside is aren't all disney movies way overpriced compared to other movies on dvd OR bluray already? I'm sure they'll be using this as an excuse to charge an extra 5 or 10 dollars to say your getting a "premium" package.

Though it would be more convenient.
    True enough that flipper discs didn't help HD DVD, but the format's failure and BluRay's "success" was because Sony basically spent whatever it took to win the format war and that was a game that Toshiba couldn't or wouldn't play.

Disney DVDs are not excessively priced in my opinion. You can buy the 2 disc DVD only set of "Sleeping Beauty" for $14.99 right now at Amazon.com or pay $7 more for the 2 disc BluRay set that contains 1 BluRay disc and 1 standard DVD disc. $14.99 for 2 DVDs is a good price I think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    these are not flipper discs....and flipper discs had issues with playback...quality was poor

these are different things (two things actually)...alot of studios now give the DRM crapola digital copies....dvds are much preferable
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if they are just clearing out the old Stock of DVD's they have...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hd-dvd already had this and it didn't help.

Not to quibble about this statement but, I liked the flipper disk very much and to say that HD had them and it didn't help may or not be a misstatement. I don't know. It may not have helped the format last longer, but the deck was stacked against HD. At the time of it's demise, I don't think even a federal bailout would have helped, but it (the flipper) was one of those little things that made you like the format and still makes me think..

the wrong guy won.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this...

Releasing BluRay discs with a DVD provides a means for the BluRay industry to claim that their sales of BluRay content are going way up when, in reality, people are buying the DVD content. If the discs is separate then the BluRay discs will end up on eBay. It probably makes more sense to make them the flipper style so the embarrassment of all those eBay sales doesn't happen.

Two or three years from now we'll have a post-mortem on BluRay and some will wonder why it failed. It's no wonder to me; it's an answer to a question no one has asked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony just posted a Billion dollar loss for the year. I wonder how much of that is BlueRay connected?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a billion?? maybe they should give out blu ray backups as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray (my first actual BR purchase in fact) that came with the DVD. it only cost me $17 at Costco...
    I got WALL-E for xmas and was a little disappointed that it didn't come with a DVD version as well.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can convert BR to DVD....looks great in most cases
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think it's a great idea and wish all Blu Ray titles came with a DVD,that way I can watch it anywhere.

Sony just posted a Billion dollar loss for the year. I wonder how much of that is BlueRay connected?
    I'll bet most of it is from the PS3,a year ago Sony said it sells it at a loss.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know. Flipper discs may not have saved HD-DVD, but they might have saved the early adopters from having to rebuy all their HD-DVD content.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @rayden54 - unfortunately Flippers weren't on EVERY release. It was hit or miss on which movies had them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote