VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    25 Pack Verbatim (96661) DataLifePlus Blu-ray 25GB 2X White Inkjet Printable BD-R for $239.00 with Free Shipping
    Saw this SMS sale e-mail. Reminds me of 2001, and 2x Pioneer or Apple DVD-R for about the same insane price. I still have invoices from those old days, just to laugh about. But the $10 per disc was just added into the cost of the conversion/restoration business, this wasn't for copying DVDs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I still have a new in shrink wrap three pack of Maxell CD-R74H discs. It still has the $24.95 price sticker - that's about $8.32 each!

Recordable CD - 74min. 680MB
    This disk is for use with 2x and 4x high speed drives only.
    -drjenkins
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah, yes, I remember when those Apple-branded (actually Pioneer) DVD-R discs were THE ones to buy, and pricey! But much as Sony would love it, I don't think we'll see the same downward price trend and "commoditization" with recordable BluRay. CD-R and DVD-R debuted at a time when people were still in the habit of using and archiving recordable media. That day is long past: youTube, network streaming sites, and cable/satellite PVRs have taken over. Interest in keeping disc copies of anything is practically nil, and who needs full HDTV quality for their travel portable or 9" minivan displays? Recordable BluRay will eventually find a niche as a computer backup medium and in a handful of stand-alone HDTV recorders, but I'd be really shocked if it became the "next DVD-R" for either purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    Ah, yes, I remember when those Apple-branded (actually Pioneer) DVD-R discs were THE ones to buy, and pricey! But much as Sony would love it, I don't think we'll see the same downward price trend and "commoditization" with recordable BluRay. CD-R and DVD-R debuted at a time when people were still in the habit of using and archiving recordable media. That day is long past: youTube, network streaming sites, and cable/satellite PVRs have taken over. Interest in keeping disc copies of anything is practically nil, and who needs full HDTV quality for their travel portable or 9" minivan displays? Recordable BluRay will eventually find a niche as a computer backup medium and in a handful of stand-alone HDTV recorders, but I'd be really shocked if it became the "next DVD-R" for either purpose.
    You are leaving one group of users out of this picture. Those with cameras capable of recording HD video. As HD cameras become more mainstream and affordable, the people who have them will want to make Blu-Ray discs to preserve their home movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doubt it. Most folks seem to want to downconvert the HD to DVD. They only wanted "HD" for the widescreen, they didn't care about the extra pixels.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recordable BluRay will eventually find a niche as a computer backup medium...
    Only if it's in a caddy (like PDD)
    As HD cameras become more mainstream and affordable, the people who have them will want to make Blu-Ray discs to preserve their home movies.
    That's probably true, but it would be better if they used blu-ray for "presentation" of their home movies rather than "preservation" of irreplaceable material.
    Quote Quote