VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. does anyone know a good tool for joining dvd vob files (which make up one single video) to give an error free single vob file, which will not alter the files in any way and let them play as one? Thanks for any info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink should do it, at least if each VOB has the same video and audio specs. It certainly works in combining all the VOBs that make up a single movie on one disk.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the DVD has been sucessfully ripped beforehand, VOB2MPG will join the VOBs into a single mpg file, without re-encoding either the audio or video. It basically just strips out the VOB specific navigational information and subtitles, which are of no use without an IFO, leaving a slightly smaller multiplexed file containing only the audio and video. (This method is not for joining clips taken from a variety of sources, just the VOBs from a single title ripped from the same DVD)
    Quote Quote  
  4. VOBMerge will also do it
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use dvd author to create a menu. dvd author accepts single vob files. I used to convert my divx files to vob, then join the parts into a single vob file for dvdauthor. I used 'joinvobfiles' in the past to do this, but some single vob files, when adding to dvdauthor, would state "scr moves backwards at 50% of file". Was it the joining program causing the problem? Not all vobs joined together would give this message, but most would. They would still play in the finished dvd with menu, but the motion was not as smooth with some files. Thanks for any info? This is why im trying to find another joiner to see if thats why i keep getting the error message
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but some single vob files, when adding to dvdauthor, would state "scr moves backwards at 50% of file
    What are you using to encode the files to vob with ... this is where the problem is most likely to appear.

You can't just take vobs from different files and pack them together as a single vob ... only from same source is safe.... in this case, best re-encode all files to match before authoring to dvd ... or author them as separate titles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use dvdauthor with a vob or mpg, and the time codes are not continuous, dvdauthor will stop with the error message: ERR: SCR moves backwards. Using demultiplexed sources eliminates this problem, assuming they are compatible with each other (same audio and video fomat, same resolution, etc.) and DVD compliant. Non-dvd compliant sources can also cause the same error message.

Since muxman requires demultiplexed audio and video, and dvdauthor works more reliably with demultiplexed audio and video, I always use it. You also need to check to see that the audio and video on the individual VOBs are DVD compliant and compatible with the the audio and video in the other VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the replies! The thing is, when i convert one single divx or xvid file to vob, this gives me multiple vob files, so why i get that message above is odd, as the files should be all compatible with each other- theyre all from the same single avi file! Perhaps i need a better program to convert my avis, a small program that will only convert them to a single vob? That way i wouldnt have to join them when adding to dvdauthor?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since sources that are not DVD compliant can cause the same error message, did you check to see if the video and audio in the converted files are DVD compliant? Maybe you didn't convert them properly.

Expecting a converter to export everything as one big VOB doesn't really make much sense. VOB's are a product of DVD authoring. They are supposed to be used with their related IFOs and individual VOBs should not be any larger than 1GB. Convert to mpg or to elementary audio and video files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dvd author with gui seems to prefer single vobs, as it then lets you create chapters for the vob. If dvd author accepts mpeg, whats a good tool to convert my avi files to high quality mpeg, so i can add it to dvd author (if it will accept mpeg)? the files that give the scr moves backwards error are old recordings that i converted to xvid with gordion knot. even with the error, the converted to vob and joined files do play, but can be slightly jumpy, either loss of frames or low frame rate after conversion to vob. The problem occurs even if i only have one avi video to convert to the vob format (i need a program that will convert from avi to vob, but as a single vob?).. so i can add it to dvdauthor to auto create chapters and my own menu. I just want to get rid of that scr error message so at least i know i have a single vob without any problems. Dvdauthor prefers that i use single vob files than anything else
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, GFD did not even have the ability to accept single VOBs until fairly recently in its history. Demultiplexed sources work most reliably for both of the authoring engines it can use. ...at least according to borax, its developer. See the recent similar thread in which you were a participant https://forum.videohelp.com/topic362500.html

The thread also contains a link to information on what is required for video to be DVD compliant at https://www.videohelp.com/dvd under "Technical Info for DVD-Video". G-Spot will tell you what you have. As for good video converters, I can't recommend one. I don't use video sources that require conversion.

[edit] If you are using a software player, the fact that the converted VOBs play (with some problems) is meaningless with respect to DVD compliancy. Some will play virtually anything, DVD compliant or not, and regardless of the file extension it has been given.

Looking at what some of the more expert members of this forum have recommended in the past for making DVD compliant conversions, DVD Flick and FAVC would seem to be good choices. ...and do yourself a favor by demultiplexing the result before importing into GFD, if you find you still need to use it for authoring. Rejig works well for me.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok, i will stop using vob I have used dvd flick in the past for converting all my videos to various formats, a very good program if i dont want a menu. I have just downloaded rejig, so i will try it out. thanks. I did not realise it was best to add demultiplexed mpg when wishing to add video for use with gui for dvd author, i had always used vob to add video to my menus. As long as demultiplexing doesnt cause the audio and video to go out of synch, but i guess theres only one way to find out. I have succeeded in making one family dvd so far with videos and photos etc, but that was with vob files, so a lucky reasonable start. Lol. I will try to convert my divx/xvid videos to mpg and demultiplex for adding to gui for dvd author from now on.. Thanks for the info
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think i was better off before, getting errors now with my converted m2v and mp2 files when trying to either add them to dvd author, create chapters, or create a final dvd. Adding videos or trying to give chapters to my files i get everything from "cannot open file in hide mode, exiting..", to "no GOP header". When clicking to create a final video, (after adding my mp2 track for the linked audio to a certain video) i can get "unrecognisable files, mp2 looks like an mpeg audio steam. Unrecognisable files, exiting." my converted m2v and mp2 files work absolutely fine in wmp on their own outside of dvd author. Im using TMPGenc to convert my avi files to mp2 and m2v. I have also noticed that when trying to create chapters, eg with a 30 min video, if using the graphic chapter editor, it shows that the video goes on after the credits, eg i have an added 10 mins of black screen? My original avi files are fine playing on the pc and a divx player, so i have no idea what the problem is. Some sort of timing issue no doubt since TMPGEnc keeps adding extra time to my videos with a black screen. Perhaps the mp2 audio is recognised as longer than the m2v, but this is surely impossible if they are the same source, unless TMPGEnc is not recognising the timing properly?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC and DVD Flick are recommended for people who need an free, easy way to convert their video to make a playable DVD, and don't fully understand the technical requirements for doing it. That's why I suggested them for you. ...and what did I say about software players and DVD compliancy?

Someone else will have to tell you how to use TMPGenc properly. Like I said, I don't use sources that require conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  15. thanks very much for the reply though. I have always used dvd flick and free download converter in the past, very good tools, but the reason i am only using dvdauthor is because i am creating a menu to go with my content of family photos and video. This is the first time i have come across any major problem with the program. With my "extra added time to video with black screen" issue, I have found someone with a similar problem here http://club.cdfreaks.com/f32/tmpgenc-no-audio-extra-long-black-screen-after-movie-91631/ i think its a variable bitrate problem, so my solution may be to try and add constant mp2 or m2v instead to dvdauthor.
    Ive managed to make one dvd before, with multiple menus and even a bonus feature, but this is the first time i have encountered the problem trying to use dvdauthor with variable bitrate files. The real problem i have now is when re encoding my files to constant, how much quality i may lose in any final files when compared to what i could have potentially had if dvd author worked with my variable bitrate videos, but then a working final dvd is better than no dvd! I dont think tmpg works with variable bitrate, the video is ok but the sound which should be Mp2 comes out as silence. I definately have the required codecs installed. i can try to rip the variable sound from the questionable avi files using virtuadub instead of tmpgenc, to see if that gives the result. Hopefully if it works i can add them correctly together and the final file is in synch, fingers crossed!...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick and FAVC can create DVD compliant files (with or without a simple menu) from your avi. You'd use Rejig to demultiplex the resulting VOB set and import the audio and video files into GFD. (Rejig will join all the VOBs as well demultiplex them.) Have you tried this? It doesn't sound to me as if you did.

Do you know what kind of audio your avi has? Ever look at it with GSpot? TMPGenc can't work with ac3 audio unless you buy a plug in. I don't think it can work with mp3 audio at all. That may be why you have no sound. Also, you must make sure your audio is DVD compliant as well, or the DVD's audio won't play in a hardware player.

...and this is the last advice I am going to offer you. I'm not spending any more time trying to assist someone who very obviously prefers to search out his own solutions and will ignore 90% of what anyone tells him, after asking for help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody reads every thread on this site, including me. I just ran across another one of yours, at https://forum.videohelp.com/topic362561.html ,in which you claim the problem avi is in PAL format 23fps, and you have already tried DVD Flick to convert it.

It would have been nice to know any of that when advising you, not simply that you used DVD Flick on some avis in the past. Also very strange to see your video is PAL 23 fps, since PAL is 25 fps, and NTSC is 29.97 fps or 23.976 fps with 3:2 pulldown.

Open the problem avi and post a screenshot from GSpot if you want help (from someone else, not me) to figure out how to convert the file. This link explains how to post a screenshot https://forum.videohelp.com/topic271697.html

You can test post at Forum Index -> Other -> Test
    Quote Quote  
  18. i think my video being at 23 fps was an early mistake on my part, avi video i must have chosen or converted to the wrong fps. This is seemingly my only avi video that gives a final slight jitter in motion after converting to a vob or m2v file for a final dvd. It is absolutely fine in a stand alone divx player as untouched avi prior to any conversion. Visualdubmod sorted my 'many seconds of black screen after the movie' problem out, and i was also able to get it to create my seperate video and audio files.. but the final dvd i create with a menu is absolutely identical to if i just used my avis on their own, again with the same slight jitter effect on the film! Adding the film as seperate audio and video makes no difference, but it was worth the try. Lol. No matter what i use, the video is in synch, yet always with the odd slight stop start jitter motion on the same video! Other videos on the same disc work fine. The jumping motion movie is fine as an avi or even as a converted m2v when checking it from the hd.. Since the m2v is just the video without any audio, perhaps the jitter effect is caused by either adding the audio, or when changing the video to 25 fps, to match all other content on the output dvd. It could be the after effect of adding the audio to my awkward video.. the jitter could be needed to keep the video in synch with its audio, as I noticed after changing both video and audio to seperate audio and video files mp2 and m2v, there is a few seconds of difference for each in their properties, yet the same footage on the final dvd will play ok and in synch, despite the jitter motion. I will try and post a screenshot using gspot if i have further problems. I think my final attempt to correct the jitter problem now will be trying to convert the avi to a completely different format, then back to m2v to add to my menu. Or give up! Lol
    Quote Quote  
  19. It could be the after effect of adding the audio to my awkward video.. the jitter could be needed to keep the video in synch with its audio...
    No.
    ...or when changing the video to 25 fps, to match all other content on the output dvd.
    Possibly.
    I think my final attempt to correct the jitter problem now will be trying to convert the avi to a completely different format, then back to m2v to add to my menu.
    Pointless.

If you'd like further help (although I don't think I can add anything to usually_quiet's expert replies), post a couple of short samples; one of the source AVI, a piece with movement, and the other of the resulting M2V, perhaps the same section that shows the problem. Neither has to be very long - 10 seconds or so will be fine. Upload them to a 3rd party hosting site like MediaFire and post the links here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. thanks for your opinion on my awkward 23 fps video. im only on the net using a mobile phone at present, so im unable to upload anything just yet. Although its not a huge problem, i can simply exclude the problem video from my final dvd, its just annoying not to find out whats causing it. I will check all my other videos to see if i have any more 23 fps avis, to convert to dvd. If they have the same problem when converted to the vob dvd format, then we may be right that its the fps change to 25 making the motion of the final dvd skip. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed in one of your posts concerning TMPGEnc:
    it shows that the video goes on after the credits, eg i have an added 10 mins of black screen?
    That can happen with TMPGEnc when you try to encode a file that contains VBR audio. You can check your files with Gspot for VBR audio before you encode with TMPGEnc. The audio/video sync is usually also messed up on the encoded files.
    Quote Quote