VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have a wierd problem of DVDs (home made) which play on DVD player without audio but when played on a computer plays audio and video well - I thought it might eb codec issue where in the DVD is using a codec that is not compatible with regular players - is there anyway I can figure out the issue and convert the DVDs to use alternative codecs that will work with most DVDs ?

If you are suggesting any tools or processes, kindly provide instructions or a a link to a page that does it as I am a complete novice to video editing.

thank you,
    -Avi
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the AUDIO codec ? Use Mediainfo and open a vob from the dvd (if you don't know where to check then just change to view->text and copy and paste the information in this topic)

I guess it's mpeg layer 2audio/mpa/mp2 and it might not work on some players. You can reconvert to ac3/dolby digital using for example tmpgenc dvd author, add dvd-video and change to convert to ac3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the output from running mediainfo
    ===========================================
    General
    Complete name : F:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 977 MiB
    Duration : 20mn 58s
    Overall bit rate : 6 509 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 5 673 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 6 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.547

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits

Menu
    Format : DVD-Video
    ===========================================
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, mpeg audio. You can use tmpgenc dvd author to change to ac3 dolby digital audio that should work much better. It shouldn reconvert the video part.

If you are looking for a free solution you can use pgcdemux to separate the video and audio, then reconvert the mpa files to ac3 using for example belight. THen make a new dvd from the old video and the new ac3 files using muxman, guifordvdauthor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was about to state that PAL players are supposed to support MPG2 audio, but then I noticed the OP is located in the US. So that means he is using the wrong video settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont know what OP means - but I used tmpgenc dvd author 4 and it worked like a charm. It is a very easy to use software, except that it is not free. I used the trial version (cannot save projects, hence will have to do it all in one go, and will have a watermark on the menus while video isn't watermarked) and I can now play the newly created DVDs on my player.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OP is Original Poster, that's you.

US standard for video is 720x480, NOT 720x576, with framerate 29.97, NOT 25.00, The numbers you are using are European PAL standard. There are a few choices available for US or NTSC, but the PAL standards are not one of them.

This will cause playback issues with most players and TV's, though some can handle it.
    Quote Quote