VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So several months ago I bought a gigabyte motherboard with the new 780g chipset which is has integrated video with hdmi out capable of HD playback in hardware.

A week ago I bought a 46" Samsung LCD (Samsung LN46A630) and a HDMI 1.3b cat. 2 cable.

I was excited to finally see my desktop in huge 46", 1080p glory. I hooked it all up turned it on and set my resolution to 1920x1080 only to see a very blurry picture. I had previously assumed that lcd tv's are like lcd monitors in that they are sharpest/clearest when the native resolution is fed to them..but this looks like I'm using 100' of VGA cable or something..very blurry image (most noticeable in the text).

I went to the ATI control center and messed with the over/underscan settings and even told it to use it's 1080p60 profile, but nothing really made it look any better...

so my question is..what's going on here? am I expecting too much from an LCD TV when it doesn't display the same sharp/clear image as an LCD monitor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to use the VGA connection if you want it to act like a monitor, and HDMI if you want to use it for video
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the reply..I was thinking if DVI is better than the VGA connection on the monitor, then HDMI would be better on the TV than VGA. Looking at the manual for the TV, however, there seems to be more functionality for the VGA input as far as getting it sync'ed properly with the TV...I'll get a VGA cable and try that out. I JUST threw one out not too long ago as I didn't see a need for it .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    just as an update (as i'm sure you all have been losing sleep over this)..

I connected the PC via HDMI to a HDMI/DVI port (i suppose designed for digital PC sources) and set it to 1920x1080 from there..it still looked really bad but I noticed it was underscanned so I went to the ATI utility and set the under/overscan slider to 0 and it looks awesome now! Just like a big ol 46" monitor.

now the question is..can I even see 1920x1080 from the couch .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    greymalkin,

Good catch on the pc side turn off the over/under scan on the video card. You may want to check your TV as well. Each vendor/model is different but you should be able to set the HDMI port to 1-1 pixel mapping or a similar 0 overscan.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    the TV has a "Just Scan" mode which is the 1:1 setting but for some reason it isn't available on the HDMI/DVI port..it is available on the other HDMI ports, however...oh well no biggie.
    Quote Quote  
  7. With an Nvidia 8600 GT hooked up with a DVI -> HDMI cable to my Samsung LNT 4665 in Just Scan mode I get a perfect pixel-for-pixel display at 1920x1080p60. Maybe your LN46A630 is really Just Scan on that input when it says 16:9. You can easily verify this by seeing if the entire desktop is visible. Try the Belle Nuite charts:

http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html

When displaying the 1920x1080 chart full screen (use Windows' Picture and Fax Viewer -- press F12 to get full screen slideshow mode) you should be able to see each vertical and horizontal line in both the black and white and colored areas around the "1". There should be no moire artifacts. And you should be able to see the green arrowheads all the way to the tips at the edges of the screen.
    Quote Quote