VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I have a problem when burning animation films (for the kids )

I have the AVI & used AVI2DVD to encode & have the DVD image, when the image is played back through the preview window of DVDFab it is fine but when burned to a DVD it becomes jumpy but only when panning across the screen, almost as if it's lost some frames,

I've tried Nero on its own to burn the image or the AVI (converted by Nero), the image with DVDFab & also with Active ISO burner all with the same results, speed of burning does not seem to make any difference either.

The AVI's played through the PC are fine too, I don't think it's the DVD recorder as when I allow Nero to encode the AVI its jumpy in their preview window before burning to DVD

Hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!!!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the details of your avi animations. Use mediainfo, open file, view->text and copy and paste here.

If you are for example doing a pal to ntsc/ntsc to pal you might get jumpy image. And try also convert using FAVC or DVD Flick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers Baldrick - here's the info

Should also say this isn't the first animated film that has had these problems

I'm not (knowingly) trying to change from Pal to NTSC doesn't really matter to me which format it is in, this is the joined AVI after using AVI2DVD to join the two original AVI's

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 1.32 GiB
    Duration : 1h 26mn
    Overall bit rate : 2 181 Kbps
    Writing application : AVI-Mux GUI 1.17.4, Nov 5 2005 22:53:48

Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 1h 26mn
    Bit rate : 1 728 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 304 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which are you making - PAL or NTSC DVDs? If PAL then, depending on how the conversion is done, it could easily account for the jerky playback if it adds a duplicate frame in every 25, thus making for a slight "jerk" or "stutter" every second. I also second the FAVC suggestion, as it does the conversion correctly.

It could be something else, though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Which are you making - PAL or NTSC DVDs? If PAL then, depending on how the conversion is done, it could easily account for the jerky playback if it adds a duplicate frame in every 25, thus making for a slight "jerk" or "stutter" every second. I also second the FAVC suggestion, as it does the conversion correctly.

It could be something else, though.
    lol To be honest I don't know!!

Just tried DVDFlick with the same results so I'll try FAVC & see - thanks

Definitely NTSC this time with FAVC as I saw the option - will update in a hour or so
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update!

Using FAVC & Imgburn burned in NTSC format seems fine, just need to check that it wasn't a PAL selection on the other programs that was causing the problem

Many thanks for you help

Edit:

Looks like it was the NTSC/PAL thing after all - I hadn't realised that Nero was set to PAL by default & didn't give you the option to change as you went through, found the setting changed to NTSC & all sorted!!

Many thanks again guys, much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just one more thing for future reference - how can I tell if an AVI is recorded in PAL or NTSC, I've checked the properties & it doesn't say so I'm assuming its FPS or something?? Info above on this particular AVI

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes. It is the framerate:

Easy to say: If it is 25 fps then it is PAL; everything else (i.e. 23.976 or 29.97) is NTSC
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by borax
    Yes. It is the framerate:

Easy to say: If it is 25 fps then it is PAL; everything else (i.e. 23.976 or 29.97) is NTSC
    Cheers Borax
    Quote Quote