VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bacardi/avt
    They must have a different servers for download in europe since I got speeds between 1.5 and 3.75 Mb/s. took about 20 minutes to download it all (32-bit )

well well, now I have to install and test, hopefully it will be a bit faster than Vista.
    Probably less traffic and better network infrastructure in northern Europe. And prettier women
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like it! I couldn't say that after 8 hours on Vista beta.
    I'll trade my XP for this one. IE8 better than 7.

It does ask for a key and activation.

Did notice the Betta in the Beta.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got it working.

It seems to like Handbrake and AutoGK, and it runs them fairly fast on my old 1.5Ghz machine (about 60-75% realtime). While using handbrake, watching an Xvid and listening to flac, it didn't seem to stutter on any of them.

The only problem is that it didn't have old drivers for the radeon 9200 or realtek onboard sound (especially since it's almost 3 Gigs on disc).

I'm hoping that they don't bloat it down by release date.I'll probably get this one in about a year or so, if it stays this quick and "compact" (3 gigs?).

That's the biggest problem that I have with these new Operating Systems: Leopard came on a DL DVD and W7 will be on a SL DVD. An OS should not need crazy-ass specs just to run the OS itself. If these guys are going to steal from anyone, steal from Linux's smaller footprint Hell, how about implementing the same UI that mobile devices have?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the mobo is too old for Win 7? I hope they included drivers for the newer Realtek audio devices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looks like those 2 links 64 bit and 32 bit are the same, they could both be on the same dvd. For activation one must go to that pre download page and register to get an activation key.

These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:

* Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    * Memory: 1 GB of system memory
    * Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
    * Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)
    * Drive: DVD-R/W drive
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-installation-instructions.aspx

The Windows 7 Beta is a pre-release version of Windows. While we consider this a stable and high-quality beta, it’s not the finished product. It could crash your computer or cause you to lose important files or information.

The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. You won’t be able to upgrade from the Beta to the final retail version of Windows 7.

Important Note to Internet Explorer 8 Beta testers: If you're already testing Internet Explorer 8, please be aware that the version in the Windows 7 Beta is at a different stage of release. If you’re beta-testing Windows 7, you need to use the version of Internet Explorer 8 that comes with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So do you need both a cd key and an activation key. One key used to install and another to activate or is it only the one 25 character key that they provided on the download site?

I ask because if I install this thing it will be on an offline machine and I don't feel like going through the calling bit.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats
    i wonder in what way windows 7 uses h264?
    Could it be integrated into the new windows media player? Perhaps native support of h264 could give win7 a hipper edge???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Links still active...downloading 32bit version.
    Right now downloading at 440kbps will finish in a little under 2 hours

Updated: Original link stopped at 500 mb said it was done.
    Went to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

Filled in the required info. Then followed link to download and it gives you the product actvation key.
    Used their download manager and dowloaded entire file at 550 - 600 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - here is an update on my experience.

Windows 7 did not like the Video Card in my laptop - when trying to play any videos it would freeze the screen and lock up the computer, forcing a hard reset. Also, I found out that Aero could not be enabled because of the Video Card.

I decided to move the Hard Drive into another laptop, expecting to have to do a reinstall. Unlike Windows XP, Windows 7 was very happy to move into it's new home - it quickly identified all new and changed hardware, and installed the proper software for it. Anything that it did not have drivers for was installed when I performed a Windows Update. I also had to reactivate. Videos play perfect, and Aero is VERY COOL .

It is still difficult figuring out how to change some settings and finding where it hides certain files, but I am very impressed with this OS .
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INFRATOM
    Looks like those 2 links 64 bit and 32 bit are the same, they could both be on the same dvd. For activation one must go to that pre download page and register to get an activation key.

These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:

* Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    * Memory: 1 GB of system memory
    * Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
    Just a footnote to the last one (from MS, not INFRATOM):

I installed it to a 12Gig drive (that's right, 12) and still had plenty of room to rip a DVD and encode it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Number six
    What laptop did you have problems on? I have a b120 and have similar issues. It has locked up several times trying to play videos. Once on a screen saver and once while trying to do a built in performance test. I wasnt sure if it might be a directx 11 issue or not. That was one of the first things it updated when it finished installing was the video driver. I have the mobile intel express.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine is the Aspire 3000 - I could not get any videos to play at all, even with VLC. It also locked up on the performance test. Windows 7 loves my Compaq v2710us - no video problems at all, except Media Player has problems with the audio on DVDs - VLC works fine with the DVD audio.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I played back archived video from my LAN with VLC 9.4, worked fine. I installed the OS on a AMD box with a 2.5Ghz dual processor CPU and 2 GB RAM. I added the product ID and activated the OS with no problems.

So far W7 looks like a 'dummied down' version of Vista. A lot of the Vista options are missing. It's hard to tell if it's faster. I only have VLC and Avast installed. It did install all my needed MB drivers, so nothing extra to install and no yellow checkmarks in Device Manager. But my on-board video card will only give me 1024 X 768 at 16bit, so a problem there. I tried a Nvidia driver and no effect at all. I will try installing a PCI-E video card and see if that improves the resolution.

Part of the problem is choosing what OS drivers to install. I'm guessing Vista drivers, but will have to experiment a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    But my on-board video card will only give me 1024 X 768 at 16bit, so a problem there. I tried a Nvidia driver and no effect at all. I will try installing a PCI-E video card and see if that improves the resolution.
    did you try going to windows update and getting the nvidia driver from microsoft:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm with you, redwudz. I had an older Nvidia PCI video card in my test machine and it wouldn't take any of the Nvidia drivers. Popped in a "real" Nvidia card and it's all good.

Anyway, it's cute.... nice new fonts and font smoothing.

Vista's sista.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing that I'm wondering is if we will have a forum award for the first joker who posts a "Windows 7 sucks" posting? It has been enough time now for some attitude case to get wound up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But spelled SUX ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    The thing that I'm wondering is if we will have a forum award for the first joker who posts a "Windows 7 sucks" posting? It has been enough time now for some attitude case to get wound up.
    WELL - that would be very unfair because this is a BETA TEST VERSION and not everything is going to work properly. I'm sure that a lot of features have not been included either.

A good example - Windows Media Player recognizes a DVD and plays the video properly, but all I hear from the audio is a horrible screeching sound. VLC plays the DVD audio and video perfectly. All other media plays perfectly in Windows Media Player.

I never used Vista, so I can't compare Windows 7 to it - but I do like what I see so far.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Number Six

WELL - that would be very unfair because this is a BETA TEST VERSION and not everything is going to work properly. I'm sure that a lot of features have not been included either.
    It would be very unfair but why would that deter some mental midget with a bad attitude from sounding off?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately - it wouldn't.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, deadrats, the Nvidia update fixed the problem. It's now running in 32bit mode. I can't set the resolution any higher, but that may be the limits of the internal video. The update also installed a driver for the second Intel LAN card.

I'm accessing the PC with Ultra VNC over the LAN, and no problems with that. Networking it seemed to be easy enough.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Help me out on this windows OS bussiness.

64 Bit processor get 64 bits Windows, and it also can execute 64bits as well as 32bits Windows applications.

32 bits processor has 64 bit instruction but only get 32 bits Windows, and run only 32 bits applications. Why can't they use/run in 64 bits?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Help me out on this windows OS bussiness.

64 Bit processor get 64 bits Windows, and it also can execute 64bits as well as 32bits Windows applications.

32 bits processor has 64 bit instruction but only get 32 bits Windows, and run only 32 bits applications. Why can't they use/run in 64 bits?
    you almost got it, but there's a couple of things to remember:

what we call a 64 bit cpu for the desktop isn't actually a true 64 bit cpu, it's more of a hybrid 32/64/128 bit cpu, where the 128 bit refers to SIMD instructions (what most people refer to as SSE).

having got that out of the way:

a 32 bit cpu, i.e. a pre-athlon 64 or pre-pentium d, will only run 32 bit applications on a 32 bit OS (remember the OS is itself an application).

a 64 bit cpu can run a 64 bit application on a 64 bit OS, a 32 bit application of a 64 bit OS (assuming the OS is designed to allow such a thing, as 64 bit windows is) or a 32 bit application on a 64 bit OS, but it can't run a 64 bit application on a 32 bit OS.

the only exception to the above concerns SSE/SSE2/SSE3/SSSE3/SSE4a/SSE4.1 instructions which are all 128 bit instructions, prior to the core 2 a single 128 bit SIMD instruction was treated as 2 64 bit instructions, but since the core 2 and it's single cycle SSE engine, SIMD instructions are treated as a single 128 bit instruction, meaning that a core 2 (and above) can fetch, decode, execute and retire a single 128 bit instruction in a single cycle, and this holds true regardless of whether or not the rest of the application is 32 bit or 64 bit and regardless of whether the underlying OS is 32 bit or 64 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thank goodness we actually get something for free for a few months from microsoft.I just bought a smart touch hp computer that has vista one it. I cant tell you how many times it froze up and i wanted to through the computer out my five story apartment. At least i can try windows 7 and if i like it yes i will buy it. Windows vista is so bad microsoft should be given it away for free for those stuck with vista crap. Also for a 3 gig file i had it download in about an hour and a half so im going to try it and see how it works. I bought a new windows xp disc just in case i want to go back to using it on this hp touch smart computer. I know i have to install sata drivers for it to install over vista so hopefully i can find a good section on here if windows 7 doesnt work out.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by pantangs
    Thank goodness we actually get something for free for a few months from microsoft.I just bought a smart touch hp computer that has vista one it. I cant tell you how many times it froze up and i wanted to through the computer out my five story apartment. At least i can try windows 7 and if i like it yes i will buy it. Windows vista is so bad microsoft should be given it away for free for those stuck with vista crap. Also for a 3 gig file i had it download in about an hour and a half so im going to try it and see how it works. I bought a new windows xp disc just in case i want to go back to using it on this hp touch smart computer. I know i have to install sata drivers for it to install over vista so hopefully i can find a good section on here if windows 7 doesnt work out.
    You don't seem to understand the concept of a beta release. A beta release is not a "free trial" so you can decide if you want to buy it or not. And if you base your decision on the beta release, you will almost assuredly decide not to buy. Beta software is almost guaranteed to have bugs/errors since that is the whole point. It's a test release to uncover as many flaws as possible so they can be addressed before the final release. As a beta tester it is your job to break it, and then inform the developers of how you broke it so they can either fix it, or find a work around until it can be fixed. You are not getting anything for free. The beta software will waste your time and hamper your productivity and at the end of the beta period, it expires so you can no longer use it.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pantangs
    Thank goodness we actually get something for free for a few months from microsoft.I just bought a smart touch hp computer that has vista one it. I cant tell you how many times it froze up and i wanted to through the computer out my five story apartment. At least i can try windows 7 and if i like it yes i will buy it. Windows vista is so bad microsoft should be given it away for free for those stuck with vista crap. Also for a 3 gig file i had it download in about an hour and a half so im going to try it and see how it works. I bought a new windows xp disc just in case i want to go back to using it on this hp touch smart computer. I know i have to install sata drivers for it to install over vista so hopefully i can find a good section on here if windows 7 doesnt work out.
    You seem like a potential candidate for the forum prize that will go the the first person who posts a "Windows 7 sucks" post. For someone like you, I'm sure it would be a real honor. By the way, your keyboard will work much better if you use your fingers instead of your head.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I hear you but with vista been so bad , Im not going to put up with it so if this windows beta version doesnt do the trick what do i lose. I sure dont ever want to use vista again. I have windows xp ready to go if windows 7 has major problems. Geez if i can actually stay on the computer for more than five minutes without it freeazing up it will have vista beat hands down.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by pantangs
    Thank goodness we actually get something for free for a few months from microsoft.
    No, it's the other way around. You are beta testing Windows 7 for them for free.

Originally Posted by pantangs
    I just bought a smart touch hp computer that has vista one it. I cant tell you how many times it froze up and i wanted to through the computer out my five story apartment. At least i can try windows 7
    Expect it to have more problems than Vista. It's beta software.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I installed it on an old computer, it just took 1/2 hour from start to finish and works just like XP on that computer. My conclusion was since this is just a reworked Vista, Microsoft design OS such that it require more and more power so intel could make more products. I guess all these viruses going around has the same purpose to promote business. Recently so many are turning to Linux and MAC or staying with XP made microsoft think again and soften up a bit. I liked it, I think they can make something small, run fast and be compatible with older computers but they don't. If linux would push them to a competition they make it as beautiful as MAC and small and secure as Linux. All that said it detected my old computer video card as standard VGA and gives me only 640X480 and I can't click on certain things and everything is too big. If I get time I will install the 64bit on my other computer probably it will install in 5 min and fly....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INFRATOM
    All that said it detected my old computer video card as standard VGA and gives me only 640X480 and I can't click on certain things and everything is too big.
    There are 2 things that you can do:

Download a Vista (preferable), or XP version of your Video Card Driver and install it.

Run Windows Update - it will most likely find the driver for it - it did on my computer.
    Quote Quote