VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I split it so it fits on two dvd's? I'm not trying to do anything fancy with menu's etc, just want to fit it on two discs to back up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow that was a great walk thru, and looks like a great option. Only problem is DVD shriek appears to not like the type of file it is.
    I tried to drag it in and it said "invalid file name"
    Quote Quote  
  3. it would help if you would give the specs of the file. a mediainfo or gspot screenshot would do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the file is MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 then TMPGEnc can do it by using Merge and Cut,if the file is DV-AVI then use WMM.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats weird under type of file it just says "movie clip" I thought it would say something like "mpeg, jepg, avi, wma" under properties. Movie clip isn't really an extention, that i know of
    Quote Quote  
  6. get mediainfo and or gspot. they are both free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    it would help if you would give the specs of the file. a mediainfo or gspot screenshot would do the trick.
    ok first line of media info says it's an mpeg-ps

and the file location line ends with .mpg
    Quote Quote  
  8. you might try avidemux. set it to copy audio/video and set the file type to mpg -ps. then use the slider at the bottom to mark start and end. cut the first half and then start where you made the middle cut and go to the end for the second file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what exactly is mpg-ps? I've never heard of it before. I made these files with a tv capture card
    Quote Quote  
  10. mpg ps is a normal video with audio program stream.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The guide that Baldrick recommended is very good. Can it be saved for offline viewing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Simply use Flashgot or any other stream downloader to get the file. Or you can simply right-click and save as, then open in your browser.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Yes. Simply use Flashgot or any other stream downloader to get the file. Or you can simply right-click and save as, then open in your browser.
    How is it everytime I make a thread some one gets banned, do that many get banned around here?

I'm also trying to save youtube type videos, was this a good software he mentioned? what is the best (free) one?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you might try avidemux. set it to copy audio/video and set the file type to mpg -ps. then use the slider at the bottom to mark start and end. cut the first half and then start where you made the middle cut and go to the end for the second file.
    Ok got it to work. Is there a way I can see output size before I do it? First time thru it was still to big.
    And I don't need it to be the same type of file when it's done. Is there a better format I should copy them as? All I want to do is put the cropped file on a dvd then be able to watch them either in a dvd player or on the computer with any program I have.
    Quote Quote  
  15. no one got banned, that is his avatar. private joke i imagine.

you can convert to any format you want but everytime you re-encode something to another format it will lose quality.

since mpg is already compressed the file size decrease won't be large unless you reduce the bitrate significantly and really lose a lot of quality in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no one got banned, that is his avatar. private joke i imagine.

you can convert to any format you want but everytime you re-encode something to another format it will lose quality.

since mpg is already compressed the file size decrease won't be large unless you reduce the bitrate significantly and really lose a lot of quality in the process.
    ok thanks again, but if I keep it the same file type will the program tell me anywhere the size of my cut file before I hit save? I tried to do it based on time but it came out a gb over.

Also any idea what the priority option is for? default is low
    Quote Quote  
  17. i don't think it will predict filesize.

priority is the setting for cpu usage.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oy, why would a 4.58gb file not fit on a 4.7gb dvd??!!! Looks like I have to cut it again
    Quote Quote  
  19. actual dvdr size is 4.365GB - same marketing speak as hard drive sizes. it's the bits vs. bytes thing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actual dvdr size is 4.365GB - same marketing speak as hard drive sizes. it's the bits vs. bytes thing.
    You are very helpful. I realised after I was over 2 hrs anyway so i never should have expected it to fit.

So what can i expect the mpeg-ps to play on/with? Even the burn dvd shows the icon of an un reconized file format, I have to select windows media each time and thats all it works with.
    Quote Quote  
  21. almost any video player should be able to play it on the computer. a dvd software player like powerdvd 8 is probably best.
    Quote Quote