VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    I have a JVC which saves the video with a .mod file ext. The editing software that came with it will not import the video clips to work with them. it just ends up giving a error message. the error window only states that a error occurred when trying to open the media file in the library. Everything worked correctly on my old computer with XP home. Now with new computer have problems.
    Can anybody tell me what is going wrong or piont me in the right direction/area.
    Thanks
    Darrell
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try renaming the extension to .mpg and see if that helps.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. did you try updating to the latest version 7 from their website? even v6 could import .mod though.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks
    I have tried to change file ext but either doing it wrong or don't know how to do it correctly.
    It would also be a real pain to have to change that many file ext all the time.

I tried power dir v7(trial) and every time I tried to import a file the program would shut down.
    Yes that is what is puzzling me the program worked just fine when I 1st bought the camera, now something has gone wrong or I have screwed something up don't know what though.
    Have re installed the program a few times with no success. and like I say the only thing different that I can tell is new computer(refurbished).

Darrell

PS Thanks for the welcome
    Quote Quote  
  5. what version are you trying to use? if it's off a disc, after install are you updating it to the current version? v6 had a ton of bug fixes/updates. i think they are still online at their site.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    minidv2dvd likely has a better solution, but usually to change extension names you have to have 'Hide extensions for known file types' unchecked in 'Control Panel>Folder Options>View'.

And you might try dropping one of the files into Gspot and see if it recognizes it. It may also be able to tell you if you have the correct codec installed, and if you use the render function, what processes are used to play or open the file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks I can now change the file ext to .MPEG and it will import to the library, so it appears I can work with them. That is doing it the hard way though.
    I spent 2 weeks fighting with cyberlink trying to get help and other then telling me to change the file ext (or just buy Ver 7)but not how even after I told them I could not they still could not help. Basically I came to the conclusion that (whoever was helping me) they did not have a clue about why their product did not work. Don't know about Ver 6.
    The main thing that confuses me is everything worked perfectly when i 1st bought the camera and went to use the program. It was after I had to replace computer after hardware problem and having to get a larger drive and reload everything that this problem came up.
    Thanks for the help so far!!

Darrell
    Quote Quote  
  8. my version is the JVC Power Director Expess NE that came with the camera.
    Yes I have the disc and other then trying the trial version of Ver 7, I don't believe I have tried to update it.

Darrell
    Quote Quote