VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to edit videos I've created with my Toshiba Gigashot A40FE with Premiere CS4. The gigashot saves videos as mpgs (which appear to be highly compressed H264), which premiere only imports if renamed to .avi. It seems though that the combination of full HD resolution along with the highly compressed H264 makes premiere screech to a halt (2.4ghz c2d).

After reading these forums it seems the solution is to convert the video files to a format which is less compressed so that premiere doesn't choke on the video files. I'm also resizing the videos (don't really need the full HD quality) to further reduce cpu/disk usage.
    Most people here recommend cineform, but that is not an option for me due to the price, so I decided to use MJPEG instead. I use Xvid4PSP for this purpose because it's free and it's the only converter I got to properly import the original mpgs created by the cam (avidemux gives an error about the aspect ratio).

I was successful in creating an avi with the mjpeg codec, which plays back fine in media player classic & vlc. The problem is that when I import it into premiere, premiere plays the video back at something like 10x speed. Does anybody know how to fix this? Could it be a problem with the mjpeg codec or with Xvid4psp?

I'm a complete newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try another codec and see if it works better in premiere. Like huff lossless, dv-avi(only 720x576 video).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the huff codec but when I try to import it, premiere gives the error "unsupported format or damaged file".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO NEED TO DO LENGTHY WORK OF THAT KIND IF U HAVE MAINCONCEPT PLUGIN PRELOADED. OR IF U HAVE LITTLE EXPERTISE IN AVISYNTHESIS SCRIPT AND ALSO PLUGIN NEEDED FOR PREMIERE PRO.
    NO NEED FOR FORMAT CONVERSION FOR FURTHER QUALITY LOSS AND ALSO TIME. REALTIME EDIT IF U HAVE QUADCORE PROCESSOR ALONG WITH COREAVC DECODER OR FFDSHOW DECODER.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Had the same problem, and found the solution on a dutch forum: rename the file from .mpg to .mts. That's it!
    Quote Quote