VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my brother cant seem to play any of the dvd backups i make of movies for his ps3(bought in japan),
    they play fine on american dvd players and computers. I thought that burning imgs doesnt have the region locked on too them. but from reading on this site, i guess it does.

So far i dled both dvdshrink and dvddrcyptor,
    can i just backup the img/video_ts and set to "region free" and encode it with dvdshrink
    or is there more i need to do?
    my backups are both ntsc and pal, does the ps3 only accept ntsc or pal regardless of the region code 0/1/2/3 ?

sorry, im kind of a noob ... been searching and reading for a few hours
    but i want to get some specifics on what to do, on terms of playback for ps3s
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the files i use for backups i get from newsgroups
    most of them are ntsc backups,
    why cant the ps3 play them? arnt the region codes already unlocked or no?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Region codes are only on commercial DVDs, or someone may have added them to a burned DVD file, but very unlikely.

Are you sure your brand of DVD media is compatible with a PS3? Not all brands of DVD media work on all players. If a PS3 will play a DVD, it may also play a PAL/NTSC DVD. I don't know. Don't have a PS3. Someone else will have to advise you on that.

Playback of any file on a computer doesn't mean much as computers can play most any format.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks redwudz
    ic, i made like 6 backups for my brother from files i obtained online..
    he said only 1 of them work, so i have to assume its either because the region code was set and the ps3 rejected them
    or, because the movies were PAL and his ps3 plays "only" ntsc.. if thats true
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony players DO seem rather picky about the NTSC vs. PAL issue. The PS3 may also be even more strict about what's on the media (including the type of disc media used), but as redwudz mentioned, it's unlikely to be a region-coding issue.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote