VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm transferring my old 8mm super film to digital format.

I'm new to this just got the trial versions and trying to build my workflow.

I'm using PowerShot G7 camera with my projector to capture "frame by frame" into 10MP files and then downscale them to 1600x1200 pixels ~350KB files.

I' have questions about post processing.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 8 work with the video files.
    It seems I need to use AE to work with Film Fix plug-in to remove dirt from my film. Anyone knows how to make this plug-in work with Vegas?

Also I have my files as JPG sequence, In what format I need to store them while I edit the video? I tried DV and it does not allow 15FPS (My video was shot using 16FPS).

For some reels I need also 18FPS.

So I tried M-JPEG from "PICVideo M-JPEG 3" and it works fine (file size seems ok too, key frames are on every frame as I understand) but is it correct way to store my video while I filter it and then re-filter etc.

Also in what order do I need to apply effects:

Seems logical to use like this (I'm puzzles about step 2 and 3):

1. Color restore using Vegas or Photoshop batch mode?
    2. Dirt removal using (Film Fix)
    3. Noise removal (using neat video)
    4. additional Sharpness using Vegas

Also I don’t seem to find any well working commercial or free filters to remove hotspot on some scenes. The hotspot I have is only on some darker scenes that are zoomed in while filming.
    The http://neuron2.net/hotspot/hotspot.html does not seem to work right for me and needs to re-make the profile every new lamp on projector, unfortunately these last only a few reels so it’s a hard option anyway. IS there anything better?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like your idea of frame-by-frame capture for hi res detail.
    How confident are you that you're not damaging your source material by putting the projector into freeze mode?
    I just recall 25yrs ago freezing a frame on a stop motion film I made when I was 10 and it burned the frame even though the heat plate was in place etc.

w.r.t. digital intermediate codec that you should use.
    If possible stay in the same package so that from filter to filter it remains uncompressed. If you do need to export you need to export to a lossless compression scheme or the repeated application of the compression will give you aweful artifacts. I'd lean towards lossless motion jpeg. your PICVideo codec might do it otherwise see here for another free alternative (assuming you're on Windows) that should work with all Windows based video editing tools.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic371510.html
    Quote Quote