VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are Nexxtech DVD-R any good I am thinking about buying a few 100 packs

If Nexxtech suck where can I get 100 DVD-R for under $20 & where can I get 50 or 100 mini DVD-R for a decent price
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you do a search for Nexxtech in our 'DVD Media' page to the left, you will see the brand is made by several manufacturers, some good, some poor. I personally wouldn't use cheap media, unless you like to produce 'coasters' instead of playable DVDs. You can get one of the best brands, such as Taiyo Yuden for about $25 - $30US for one hundred and you will not likely have any problems at all. I use Rima.com. But shop around.

Verbatim and some Sony discs are also good quality and more likely to be found locally.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about mini - DVD-R, but every so often Staples has Sony 100 pack DVD-R for $22.98 plus tax.
    I've been using the Sony discs all year without any problems. According to Staples flyer for this week,
    the Sonys are on sale right now....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Verbatim and some Sony discs are also good quality and more likely to be found locally.
    Sony media hasn't been any good in the USA for some years now. Sony uses only the cheapest, lowest quality Indian manufacturing companies to make their media for sale in North America. Such discs may be OK now, but whether you'll still be able to play them, say, 3 years from now is a very good question. If you care about being able to play your discs in the future, then in North America you either buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and nothing else. If you don't care whether your discs are still good in the future and just want to save money, then you just buy whatever cheap crap you can find and hope for the best. Sony and TDK both used to make high quality media for the North American market but now both just sell whatever cheap crap they can get made in India. The only manufacturers for North America that consistently make good media are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim and that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. We spend hundreds if not thousands on equipment and computers but do not see the value of good media.

Buy only Taiyo Yuden , pay the price and see the benefit, perhaps verbatim as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony discs made in Taiwan are excellent.
    Sony discs made in Malaysia are not very good at all, avoid them.
    Sony does not have any discs that are made in India.

Verbatim is a better disc than Taiyo Yuden. It will burn and read in a wider selection of equipment in most tests. Taiyo Yuden and Sony are both excellent second choices for a disc.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If your data is worth so little to you that you won't even spend a lousy ten cents more per disc for reliable media, then why are you even bothering to archive it in the first place?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nexxtech is garbage, to address the OP.

"If your data is worth so little to you that you won't even spend a lousy ten cents more per disc for reliable media, then why are you even bothering to archive it in the first place" is worth repeating!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. I used to recommend Sony as close on the heels of Taiyo Yuden and higher-grade Verbatim, but not anymore. Recent spindles of once-reliable Sony Taiwan have been giving me a 50% coaster rate using Pioneer recorders (640 and 560), Phillips recorder (3575), Pioneer PC burners (111 and 112), and Apple/Panasonic slot burners (Matsushita 875). On all of this hardware, if I immediately switch to TY or Verbatim 8x discs, the same files burn without a hiccup.

Pretty much all 16x-speed media has gone down the toilet this past year: you wanted $20 spindles, you got $20 spindles- of worthless narrowly-compatible media that can only be burned on this month's "hot" PC drive. This includes the watered-down Verbatim 16x sold in superstores: I've been getting an insane 75% coaster rate on retail Verbs since 2007. The only "can't fail, never miss, always works" media I've used in the last 18 months are TY 8x Premium and Verbatim 8x DataLife, neither available in stores. They run about $35/100 delivered from internet suppliers. That price has been stable for almost three years and is not going to drop any lower: quality media costs $35/100, and thats the end of it. Why people insist on buying the OfficeMax $19.99 specials only to end up discarding half of them is beyond me: might as well spend the $35 upfront and know you'll be able to burn every single disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nexxtech is fair not garbage,
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have to say these insane burning speeds baffle me as well, whats the hecking hurry, I think they contribute to bad burns.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that burn speeds have something to do with disc failure. I always burn at 8X or less, if I try to burn 16X discs at 16X speed, that's when problems arise.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DJboutit
    Are Nexxtech DVD-R any good I am thinking about buying a few 100 packs
    BAD to very BAD . Got two tubs, and return both of them.

If you want to save money, Try Staples store brand or HP when they are on sales.
    Quote Quote