VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys

I have a couple of these players, and i must say i am impressed for a player that retails for around £32 from Ebuyer

But I have a couple of issues that i need answering and hopefully someone here can

1. Most of the latest avi's i have play flawless, but a number of them particualrly from my old camera refuse to play at all..

2. My latest gadget is the Sony cam corder with built in HD. The movie files produced are mpeg format , and with 5.1 sound. The picture plays but judders from the USB port, and seams ok from a DVD. I have tried to change the sound to 2.1 stereo.

Does anyone know of a good utility that i can use to just change the sound to play correctly with this player please...

The player details can be found here : xxx.ebuyer.com/product/139176

Any help guy's would be greatly appreciated..

##~Flashy~##
    Quote Quote  
  2. AVI is a container that may contain audio and video compressed with any of dozens of different encoders. DVD players that play AVI usually only support a few codecs like Divx, Xvid, MP3, and AC3. Your camera is probably producing MJPEG. Use a program like GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the AVI properties.

Problems playing video from your camcorder via USB are likely because the USB port is version 1.1 and can't handle the high bitrates. Converting the audio probably won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo

Sorry buddy perhaps i didn't explain myself ...

1.Regarding the USB port. I am only trying to play the files via a USB stick. Virtually all the movies i have (AVI) play perfectly, and without any issues. I have a number of AVI files however that for some reason do not play, and cannot understand why..

2. I only have an issue with MPG2 files from my Camcorder. (Not playing them via the usb currently). I understand that mpg2 was the fundamental video format which DVD was based upon. and my Sony camcorder stores videos in this format.
    When i try to play it the picture is very ok , but there is no sound.I then convert the audio to 2.1 stereo and try again, the picture is jerky ,and the sound is breaking up.

Why is this. I have even tried converting with various formats , but generally the video quality is rubbish compared to the original.

Ideally all i want to do is convert the sound on the original mpg2 file to play without any issues.

I can if you require email you a sample mpg2 file to see what you think.

I have attached a screen dump from Mediainfo for your info...

Thanks once again for the assistance...

PS is there anyone out there who has sucessfully played an mpg video file , from the Sony camcorders, and if so how please...

Best regards

##~FlashY~##

Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by flashy
    1.Regarding the USB port. I am only trying to play the files via a USB stick. Virtually all the movies i have (AVI) play perfectly, and without any issues. I have a number of AVI files however that for some reason do not play, and cannot understand why..
    Examine your AVI files with GSpot or MediaInfo. You will probably see that the files that do play are encoded with Divx or Xvid. The ones that don't play are probably encoded with something else. Many digital cameras use MJPEG encoding for the video. Your player simply doesn't play MJPEG (or whatever codec was used in those files) video in an AVI container.

Originally Posted by flashy
    2. I only have an issue with MPG2 files from my Camcorder. (Not playing them via the usb currently). I understand that mpg2 was the fundamental video format which DVD was based upon. and my Sony camcorder stores videos in this format.
    When i try to play it the picture is very ok , but there is no sound.I then convert the audio to 2.1 stereo and try again, the picture is jerky ,and the sound is breaking up.

Why is this. I have even tried converting with various formats , but generally the video quality is rubbish compared to the original.

Ideally all i want to do is convert the sound on the original mpg2 file to play without any issues.
    It's harder to say what is going wrong here. But DVD players generally require the MPEG video and audio be in a VOB container with proper DVD authoring (VIDEO_TS folder with IFO, BUP, and VOB files). Some players will play "bare" MPG files on data discs. But it sounds like your player won't play AC3 audio from an MPG file, and maybe has a problem playing MP2 (?) audio from an MPG file.

The MediaInfo screen cap you posted looks to be within spec but the video bitrate, and the total (video + audio) bitrate, is getting close to the upper limit. You may have to author the MPG files to a movie DVD to get the proper IFO/BUP/VOB in order to play the file.
    Quote Quote