VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

A few months ago I installed in my PC a WesternDigital 1 TB WD10EACS. Now I want to add another 1 TB disk and I've seen that there's this different model WD10EVCS in the same web I bought the other one.

I've been searching internet for a while trying to find out the differences. I'm not sure I can install this WD10EVCS inside my PC. In some pages I've read that it was an external disk. In other one I read: "The WD10EACS is a Desktop WD Caviar Green drive, while the WD10EVCS is a Consumer Electronics WD AV-GP (Audio/Video Green Power) drive."

Does anyone happen to have a WD10EVCS installed in his PC or know something about the differences with the other one?

I would appreciate very much some help. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The main differences seem to be the cache size and the power consumption:

WD10EVCS
    Read/Write 7.4 Watts
    Idle 4.0 Watts
    16MB Cache

WD10EACS
    Read/Write 5.4 Watts
    Idle 2.8 Watts
    32MB Cache

Generally a larger cache is good. And lower power consumption usually mean less heat. Both drives seem to have relatively slow 5400RPM operation, but that's common with 'green' energy saving HDDs. The WD10EVCS seems to be designed for streaming video or large files, while the WD10EACS seems to be more for general computer use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for answering.

I'm going to use that disk inside my HTPC to record live TV, so I think the WD10EVCS that is now available is a good option. Although I may look and compare prices to see if I find the EACS, since the heat is always an issue in an HTPC with no much room inside.

By the way, my WD10EACS has 16MB cache. May be the newer ones have 32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Talayero
    By the way, my WD10EACS has 16MB cache. May be the newer ones have 32.
    Sorry, I got it mixed up with the WD10EADS, which does have a 32MB cache. But a lot of the newer drives are going to the bigger cache sizes as the price of RAM is presently low and it doesn't add much to the cost.
    Quote Quote