VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know there should be a simple way to do this but I don't know what it is.

I have about 7000 files totaling approx 17gig.
    I need to back them up to dvd's.
    Is there software that will just let me select all of the files and back them up to multiple dvd's automatically?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try imageburn. It has burn from folders options. I don't know about automatic disc spanning though.

Certainly nero would have that option - also try roxio.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD Span is pretty good.
    http://hcidesign.com/dvdspan/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yoda, can't find anything like that in Nero although I admit I did not spend a longgg time looking...looked at Roxio's site...

"Span large files and projects across multiple CDs or DVDs"
    So Roxio is an option.

hech54, thanks to you as well...looks like DVD Span is designed to do specifically what I want and is quite cheap.

I will have to look into the 2 and decide.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will need the help of your children and grandchildren to complete this project after you pass on.

Why not stay with hard drives?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nero will autospan just like Roxio. Just drop them in place and start the burn, it'll prompt for another disc when needed. Personally, I'd take a few moment and manually move them into separate folders totaling about 4 gigs or higher if you are using dual layer discs. It really shouldn't take long to do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    You will need the help of your children and grandchildren to complete this project after you pass on.

Why not stay with hard drives?
    Just a secondary back up. Everything important is kept on a 1TB external that is in a fireproof/waterproof safe. Dvd's are just a non mechanical redundant alternative....hard drives can fail.

PoppaMeth....what version of Nero are you using...I still have 6...I don't think it does that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm using 6 as well. The latest build of it. I could be wrong on this. I swear I've done it before but it was only once. It might only work for certain types of discs as well. I was making an audio CD if I recall correctly. If I get some time today I'll test it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had a similar question a while ago. The solution was to use Nero 'Back it Up' in version 6 . This will do spanning and keeps all of the folder structures intact. I moved the folders to the root (C:\_) to keep opening of folders on the burned media to a minimum.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  10. Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't BackItUp store the files in a .nbi image file? Supposedly it preserves the folders but compresses them into an image file before writing. You can supposedly browse the resulting disk via explorer but I think you have to actually extract the files to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't BackItUp store the files in a .nbi image file? Supposedly it preserves the folders but compresses them into an image file before writing. You can supposedly browse the resulting disk via explorer but I think you have to actually extract the files to use them.
    You're right, but in preferences you can turn off compression and then is saves the regular files/types without creating an archive. I should have mentioned that when I posted.
    Uncheck the 'Compress files before backup' option in Preferences -> Back up.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  12. Good to know. The help files don't seem to make this clear at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've noticed help files are usually attempted by the programmer(s) themselves...hardly writers with any real communicative experience...some can't write any help file...it's way beyond them...but can be found on match.com
    Quote Quote