VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a portable DVD player which plays Divx movies. I want to reduce the file sizes so that I can put more on a dvd. I am thinking lowering the resolution to match that of the DVD player would reduce the overall file size allowing me to put more on.

Actual dimensions listed on DVD player: 480(w)x234(H)x3(RGB)

Examples of resolutions to be converted:

640x480
    560x332
    576x416

The final resolution does not have to be exactly 480x234 but close to it as to not create distortion or losing parts of the screen.

I have looked at Super but I am unsure of how I might use it properly or if it is even the right program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually you should convert the bitrate. The resolution doesn't really impact file size. Go to a lower bitrate and you will fit more on the disc.

Use a bitrate calulator to determine it - videohelp bitrate calculator - that is a good one to start with.

Since its a smaller screen a portable dvd player you won't need that high of a bitrate. The quality drop will be negligble on a smaller screen. Now if you were playing this back on a 20" or larger tv that would be a different story. But for portable screens you can drop the bitrate without a large hit in quality. (relatively speaking of course)

Also don't forget to remaster the divx files from the original sources. That will improve your final output significantly compared to compressing the already compressed divx file.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I only have the DIVX movie and not the original media. Unsure of what bitrate level to use. Also which program should I use? Is Super the best for that or something else? Any tutorials?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/convert

That should be a starting point. Just look up any that use Super if you want to use that program (which should work well enough).

Use gspot or avicodec to identify the current bitrate (or a software media player should tell you what it is while playing the file). Then from there do tests. I'd suggest probably starting at relatively small increments and going larger if you need more space saving.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found out that the best image resolution for portable DVD players that have a 7' 480X234 screen is 480X288. I made a lot of tests with various resolutions, 480X288 is the only resolution that will fill 100% of the screen. The image will have a 16:9 ratio and you must use square pixels (not anamorphic image).

Tested on a SCOTT DPXi72 , but this should work on most portable DVD players with 480X234 screen.

Quote Quote