VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    im trying to remove norton from my aunts computer, its a vista. when i go into the menu i click on the uninstall button it stars gathering system information. after the system information bar is done loading it says that norton cannot be installed, please contact the norton web site. is there a way on vista that i can remove it manually by going into the system manually?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” (George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try this or this
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  3. use the icon and click on disable auto protect, then go to services and turn off and disable the services. reboot then go to add and remove. make sure you login as administrator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to get rid of it is deleting all the entries in the registry. Any other way you are waisting your time. Not even the norton removal tool gets rid of it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, that sounds really bad, I use norton on my laptop also, and it is going to exprire, I am going to remove it, hope things will not be that hard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Norton is great at being a real pig to remove totally from your system, even by hand using other means it takes ages and leaves plenty of rubbish on there so it still tries to run things that don't exist anymore causing errors when you start your computer

Even using their own software uninstallers doesn't guarantee it will remove everything, its even worse if you get a partial install, why can't software companies write decent uninstallers then we don't have to use other software to remove their rubbish

Anyway, Norton have provided a free util that will remove their badly uninstalled software totally from your system

Snag is it will remove ALL Norton software fgrom your system, so if you use other Norton software it will also uninstall and delete that as well. Well, why bother writing it properly to be selective lets just do the easy thing and delete everything that way we will get no more complaints

Click on the link below, run it and let it scan your system. It may take quite a while as it does do a very good job of removing it, but then again if it was done correctly in the first place ............

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

It won't install the software, just says its installing it, so you don't have to worry about even more crud on your computer

Its capable of automatically and annoyingly removing all the following software from your computer, regardless if you only want some of it removing. So be aware of this 'feature'

· Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
    · Norton AntiVirus 2003 through 2009
    · Ghost 10.0, 12.0 and 14.0
    · Norton GoBack 3.1 through 4.2
    · Norton Internet Security 2003 through 2009
    · Norton Password Manager
    · Norton Personal Firewall 2003 through 2006
    · Norton SystemWorks 2003 through 2009
    · Norton Confidential Online 2007
    · Norton Internet Security Add-on Pack 1.0 to 3.0
    · Norton Save and Restore 1.0 to 2.0
    · Norton 360 1.0 to 2.0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Under vista > control panel > programs and features > uninstall from here only
    Quote Quote