VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am trying to convert mkv to to an AVCHD. I have had three failed attempts at this. I have been using the method outlined http://brothers_grim.webs.com/bd/index.html. The first two times I tried DVD+R then the last time I tried DVD-R. All of the attempts failed. I am using AC3 Audio. The manual says that it can handle AVCHD. Here is all that it says

AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition)
    This player can playback AVCHD format discs. These discs are normally recorded and used in camcorders.
    - The AVCHD format is a high definition digital video camera format.
    - The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format is capable of compressing images at higher efficiency than that of the conventional image compressing format.
    - Some AVCHD discs use the “x.v.Color” format.
    - This player can playback AVCHD discs using “x.v.Color” format.
    - “x.v.Color” is a trademark of Sony Corporation.
    - “AVCHD” and the AVCHD logo are trademarks of Matsushita Electronic Industrial Co., Ltd. and Sony Corporation.
    - Some AVCHD format discs may not play, depending on the recording condition.
    - AVCHD format discs need to be finalized.
    - “x.v.Color” offers a wider color range than normal DVD camcorder discs.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Syco54645
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Syco54645
    Hello,

I am trying to convert mkv to to an AVCHD. I have had three failed attempts at this. I have been using the method outlined http://brothers_grim.webs.com/bd/index.html. The first two times I tried DVD+R then the last time I tried DVD-R. All of the attempts failed. I am using AC3 Audio. The manual says that it can handle AVCHD. Here is all that it says

AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition)
    This player can playback AVCHD format discs. These discs are normally recorded and used in camcorders.
    - The AVCHD format is a high definition digital video camera format.
    - The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format is capable of compressing images at higher efficiency than that of the conventional image compressing format.
    - Some AVCHD discs use the “x.v.Color” format.
    - This player can playback AVCHD discs using “x.v.Color” format.
    - “x.v.Color” is a trademark of Sony Corporation.
    - “AVCHD” and the AVCHD logo are trademarks of Matsushita Electronic Industrial Co., Ltd. and Sony Corporation.
    - Some AVCHD format discs may not play, depending on the recording condition.
    - AVCHD format discs need to be finalized.
    - “x.v.Color” offers a wider color range than normal DVD camcorder discs.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Syco54645
    Samsung BD-P1500?????

I have made several attempts to create an AVCHD or Bluray DVD-R to play back on my parents Samsung BD-P1500.
    I have no problems at home as my PC is hooked up to my Samsung 40”HDTV but would like to burn .mkv and .TS (HD) files to DVD-Rs for my parents.
    I have played around with TsMuxeR (change level - 4.1) which seems to work great and burned the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders to DVD-R disk using both Imgburn and Nero burning rom with settings of UDF 2.5 etc.

Nothing has worked what so ever! BD-1500 says “can’t play this disk”
    Maybe it would help if I plug the bd player into my router and update the firmware when I get chance???
    Any help would be appreciated...........
    Genii nor fools may work without tools!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Robertiebert, I have the latest firmware and it doesnt make a difference... I may just call samsung on the phone to get my answer. I have posted on the samsung portion of cnet for an answer but nothing yet...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We've had reports that some BluRay players simply seem to not support AVCHD no matter what you do, but I don't remember specific models that this was true for. We've also had reports of consumer burned BluRay discs not working on some models too, but again I don't remember specific models. However, we've had a LOT of posts recently asking for unlock codes for Samsung DVD players from people all over the world and it seems that Samsung no longer makes DVD players that can be unlocked. At this time my advice would be that if someone is shopping for a DVD or BluRay player, he might consider the reported consumer unfriendliness of Samsung models prior to making a buying decision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony PS3 does AVCHD ... I've made a few using tsMuxeR / ImgBurn and all have worked.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    We've had reports that some BluRay players simply seem to not support AVCHD no matter what you do, but I don't remember specific models that this was true for. We've also had reports of consumer burned BluRay discs not working on some models too, but again I don't remember specific models. However, we've had a LOT of posts recently asking for unlock codes for Samsung DVD players from people all over the world and it seems that Samsung no longer makes DVD players that can be unlocked. At this time my advice would be that if someone is shopping for a DVD or BluRay player, he might consider the reported consumer unfriendliness of Samsung models prior to making a buying decision.
    I pasted text from the manual stating that it supports avchd format in my original post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM

I pasted text from the manual stating that it supports avchd format in my original post.
    Yet you admit that it doesn't work. I know what you did. I was just telling you that we've had reports that on some players, nothing you do really works.

If it's so easy to make this work, why do you need help?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Syco54645
    But is your video in the .mkv, AVCHD complaint? Probably not. If you made your .mkv you should know. If you obtained it from "somewhere else" it is 99.9% likely that it is not compliant. There is more to compliance than just the AVC level. e.g. if your VBV buffer is too large, it won't play. If you have too many b-frames it won't play, if your GOP size is too large, it won't play etc... Just changing the header information won't necessarily make it magically work. Futhermore, there is no unified AVCHD standard - it still is work in progress. e.g. What Sony labels "AVCHD" maybe slightly different that what Panasonic labels "AVCHD"; they are not identical and 100% interoperable as of now.

And even if your video was "compliant", what jman says is correct. Many standalone players are picky about the media. Some don't like DVD5/9, some don't even like BD25/50. Some are more forgiving that others; e.g. the PS3 is much more tolerant than most standalone units. In addition, there have been some reports that newer firmware has the sole purpose of making it so consumers can't play back their own AVCHD authored discs (RE: piracy)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a samsung BD-P1500 and I can confirm that it does play all the avchd discs I have made for it using tsmuxer or ripbot264 and then burning using imageburn.

BOBO
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bobotheclown
    I have a samsung BD-P1500 and I can confirm that it does play all the avchd discs I have made for it using tsmuxer or ripbot264 and then burning using imageburn.

BOBO
    Can you please write up a guide as to how you have done this and the exact settings that you have used? Oh and what firmware do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98

Yet you admit that it doesn't work. I know what you did. I was just telling you that we've had reports that on some players, nothing you do really works.

If it's so easy to make this work, why do you need help?
    i was simply stating that the manual says that it works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Syco54645
    Firmware is the original one that it came with ( 1. something )
    and regarding ts muxer i just load the mkv, use the "create bluray disc "option then in the top menu on bluray i add chapters every 5 mins.Click start muxing (takes about 4 mins)
    Then just burn the 2 folders to dvd-r or dual layer if needed using imageburn using udf 2.50 settings
    If at first you don't succeed........

Ask someone that knows what there talking about !!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding using ripbot264 I do this

Add the mkv file and then it takes about 5 mins to analyse it.
    Then i click on blu-ray disc at the bottom
    In mode I use 2 pass and instead of setting a bitrate i use lock size at about 8250 mb, (to fill a dl disc)
    In the properties part i tick resize custom and change the ratio to stop the picture getting stretched on the screen (this is due to many mkv rips not having the normal 1280x720 or 1920x1080 )
    On audio i use copy stream and the profile i set it to whatever profile the original file is ie ( if mkv is 4.1 i use 4.1 )
    Click done then click start.
    The next process can take overnight
    When completed just burn the resulting folders back to dvd using same settings as for tsmuxer.

Every mkv I have done so far has worked flawlessly and I have done over 50.....

BOBO

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Syco54645
    Firmware is the original one that it came with ( 1. something )
    and regarding ts muxer i just load the mkv, use the "create bluray disc "option then in the top menu on bluray i add chapters every 5 mins.Click start muxing (takes about 4 mins)
    Then just burn the 2 folders to dvd-r or dual layer if needed using imageburn using udf 2.50 settings
    Ah ok. I was doing a bunch of other things too (what ever the guide from the first post told me to do). I do not have many dvd-r left since dvd+r have some benefits over -r, I always buy +r. Ill have to go get some -r. Does this method usually work? I would like to avoid having to reencode the video if it doesnt need it (only because it takes forever). The mkv that I am trying to do is the right size, from what I can tell.

Thanks for the help!

-Syco54645
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Syco54645
    A 4.3 gb mkv will not fit onto a single layer dvd as when made into bd structure it will be a few 100 mb oversized for it.
    Yes both of the ways I use work everytime and the tsmuxer way takes 15 mins max including burn, but remember if the source mkv isnt standard bd rersolution ie. 1280x720 or 1920x1080 the the picture will stretch slightly to fit the screen, (that is why i sometimes use ripbot264).

BOBO

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ripbot has been running for about 9 hours now... so slow...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL Yeah thats the problem with it
    It always re-encodes wether you need to or not.
    TSmuxer is far quicker

BOBO

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL Yeah thats the problem with it
    It always re-encodes wether you need to or not.
    TSmuxer is far quicker

BOBO
    well the video was not the right size, so it needs reencoded. i am running it on a core 2 duo laptop that is 2 ghz with only a gig of ram. i wish i had a faster windows machine (i am a linux user). oh well.

edit: i should also note that when i used the custom size setting that you mentioned it stretched the video. when i selected 720p from the dropdown it looked fine, but had black bars at the top and bottom. it will be done when i get home tonight, hopefully it has worked. can you check your firmware for me as well? if i need to downgrade, I will find a way.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still did not work. I tried on both a dvd+r and a dvd-r. what could the problem be?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the mesage you get "this disc can not be played"
    Have you updated your firmware at all ??
    Some people have mentioned that after upgrading they have problems with avchd discs.
    This is my second player and the first worked fine untill i upgraded the firmware, then my avchd would not play, so i redownloaded the latest firmware and reflashed the drive via usb, well that killed the drive completely nothing would load, the player just said load all the time and i couldnt access the setup menu or anything.
    I took it back and swapped it for a new one with original firmware and again this one is perfect with old firmware.
    I have highlighted this problem to samsung uk and they still have not given me a solution
    The newer firmwares enable divx playback but the one I have does not and I will not be upgrading untill they sort out the issues regarding the avchd playback in the new firmware.
    I suggest you email samsung support and ask them why the new firmware will not play avchd and if they have a fix for this issue.

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fixed the issue. Found the fix on a german site of all places....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not tell us what the "fix" is ... in English of course

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Sony PS3 does AVCHD ... I've made a few using tsMuxeR / ImgBurn and all have worked.

Ive made a couple of AVCHD discs and they wont run on my PS3 at all =( I have the latest firmware on my PS3 and I use TsMuxer and ImgBurn to make the discs, I had a MKV file at 4.35GB, the audio was DTS at over 1GB, so I converted that into AAC and replaced the DTS so the file size came down to 3.45GB, I used TsMuxer and the video already had a profile of 4.1 so I left that and started the 'blu ray disk' procedure, once done I burned it with ImgBurn under UDF 2.50 but the discs didnt work properly =( The sound was playing but I had a black picture...any help plz?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @rajman

All the AVCHD DVD disc burns I've done had H.264 video with AC-3 audio and the structure was done using tsMuxeR and the burn was done using ImgBurn and it has worked for me *shrugs*

Granted I think I've only done this two or three times.

I did once make a M2TS file from a MKV with H.264 video and AC-3 audio and got audio on the PS3 but no video. Looking at the video (this was a download) it had way too many reference frames (probably the problem) but also had an incorrect resolution (was 1280x736 instead of 1280x720). Either or both were the problem.

So I guess I am saying that perhaps the video of your file is not PS3 friendly. One way to test is to make a M2TS and see if that plays. If it doesn't then I think you can pretty much assume the video is not friendly. If it does work then you know something went wrong when making the AVCHD DVD disc.

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not tell us what the "fix" is ... in English of course

I just had to type it (my wrist is broken and typing is kinda hard)
    http://bd.splra.org/

I live in pittsburgh too btw, and love fulcci as well.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @rajman

All the AVCHD DVD disc burns I've done had H.264 video with AC-3 audio and the structure was done using tsMuxeR and the burn was done using ImgBurn and it has worked for me *shrugs*

I did once make a M2TS file from a MKV with H.264 video and AC-3 audio and got audio on the PS3 but no video. Looking at the video (this was a download) it had way too many reference frames (probably the problem) but also had an incorrect resolution (was 1280x736 instead of 1280x720). Either or both were the problem.

So I guess I am saying that perhaps the video of your file is not PS3 friendly. One way to test is to make a M2TS and see if that plays. If it doesn't then I think you can pretty much assume the video is not friendly. If it does work then you know something went wrong when making the AVCHD DVD disc.

Hmmmm dont know what Im doing wrong.....ive followed the step exatcly from the bittburners guide, I converted the video in problem into MP4 using GOTSent and it plays perfectly on my PS3, I just wanted it in AVCHD so I can play it on my blu ray player too
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rajman
    @rajman

Hmmmm dont know what Im doing wrong.....ive followed the step exatcly from the bittburners guide, I converted the video in problem into MP4 using GOTSent and it plays perfectly on my PS3, I just wanted it in AVCHD so I can play it on my blu ray player too
    give my method a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rajman
    @rajman

give my method a shot.
    Hey I just tried your method but I got the same results as before....black video with audio on my PS3 =( Im doing everything correctly like 5.1 > 4.1, resolution is 1280x720 so no need to chnage yeh and Im burning at UDF 2.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PS3? Who cares? Play a game or something lol
    Help with BD-P1500 and mkv via AVCHD SAMSUNG standalone player!.
    There are hundreds of discussions out there for ps3 users and from what I have read, people are getting some degree of success. However if you own a Samsung BD-p1500 stand alone BluRay Player (Trailed Firmware 1.1 and now updated to 2.1) and have managed to get a .MKV x/h264 dvd-r 5/9 to play then you seem to be doing something right/different. BoBotheClown suggests he/she has succeeded with this yet it does not work for me!??????? Come on BOBO, sort me out, yo da man/woman.
    I have tried several methods and a variety of .MKV files and only have an ever growing pile of duff discs!
    Again I have done all the usual, Res 1280x720 5.1>4.1 where necessary. TsRemuX to Blueray disc and burned using Nero and Imgburn UDF5.2.
    Even followed http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135795 guide through the full procedure, this must work I thought, whap, no joy! Noooooooooooooooooooo
    Here is the file info for the most recent file I have tried.

General
    Complete name : H:\Films\Films\.720p.BluRay(2).x264-HDxT\.720p.BluRay.x264-HDxT.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 2.03 GiB
    Duration : 39mn 14s
    Overall bit rate : 7 401 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2008-07-19 15:33:17
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.2.0 ('Turn It On Again') built on Mar 4 2008 12:58:26
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 39mn 11s
    Bit rate : 6 650 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 6 950 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.301
    Writing library : x264 core 60 r892M ad1d7a4
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / rdcmp=psy / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,4 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=6950 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:1.00
    Language : English

Audio
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Duration : 39mn 14s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Text #1
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Text #2
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Any help with the Samsung P1500 AVCHD DVD5/9 issue would be greatly appreciated........
    Genii nor fools may work without tools!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robertiebert
    PS3? Who cares? Play a game or something lol
    Any help with the Samsung P1500 AVCHD DVD5/9 issue would be greatly appreciated........
    As I said, this works for me. Here is my guide http://bd.splra.org/
    And yes, enough with the ps3 shit.
    Quote Quote